Benefit To Creating Complex Background?

When I’m creating a background image for my watchface, is there any benefit to adding all the numbers, dials, and gauges in the background image? It’s more convenient to add them all as layers in the editor, because I can easily re-arrange them, but does that then mean a heavier load on the watch or does the editor flatten all the static layers on creating the working face?

I started creating the subdials as separate images to be used as layers. Easier to place them that way. I’ve found the resolution is better on some things if you add them to the dial as a layer instead of as the background. It’s different on every dial though. I haven’t noticed a slowdown of anything whether it was 50 layers in Facer or all flattened down in the background. They are pretty tiny files as layers, so I don’t think it is going to matter a whole ton from one dial to another.

1 Like

Fair enough, that makes sense. The flexibility of separate layers makes re-arranging designs a lot easier so I’ll stick with that. Thanks for the info. :+1:

I’ve only noticed load times when syncing take a bit longer for faces with many layers. I’m not sure if thats just my watch or if thats really a thing or not but seems like it to me.

1 Like