Dynamic Text from external API?

Hi! Just started playing with Facer and I love it. I created a simple watch face with text in the background.

My question is: Is there any way to update the text programmatically (say once a day) based on a call to some external API? What I want is to have a Bible “verse of the day” always displayed in the background on my watch face. But I don’t want to manually enter it every day, just want it to update automatically based on a call to an external server which will serve up a new verse every day.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hi and welcome. Is not possible to use an external resource to get data on facer, but you can use the “rand” function to set different text or numbers every x time.

ie.

I think that could help you to get a random verse of the day every time you wake/dim. Then you can play with Hour Tags to get a random text every 24 hours.

I just an idea.

I’ve been thinking of doing something similar. Only option at the moment is creating individual text elements and do like @riczurdo said. Use some sort of random wake expression to bring up something different each time.

1 Like

Thanks @riczurdo and @eradicator09! That worked great. I slightly modified the transparency expression to $(#DdL#%N)==n?100:0$ so now it should select a new background every day.

Here’s the watch face if you’d like to see the result: Facer - Thousands of FREE watch faces for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more

1 Like

Amazing! Happy to help. Just one suggestion, in my opinion, you should send the backgrounds to the back, in order to not to overlap the hands. And I have seen that one of them is not working. Check them. Looks great, congrats.

Thanks for looking! I moved the hands forward and adjusted their style a bit; I agree that’s much better. Thanks again for your quick replies and advice.

1 Like