Help with ZODIAC Rotation

Nice job @andrew.dowden … This will definetly help other to create zodiac watch faces as well.

On my watchface you can already change the display by tapping an the main sign field… i will add associated planets soon.

If you want any of this in a different size, layout, format, or the .svg files … let me know.

Or give me an outline image (just 1 sign, of 12), and I will provide the finished dial image.

Thank you, @andrew.dowden.

I already made my desired fields. Have a look at the watchface above and tap on the zodiac sign to change the info of the current sign (Picture, Star constellation, associated planet with picture and date range.

I hope you enjoy.

Hi Andrew, I tried this formula and it works great on Tizen but unfortunately it doesn’t work on wear os, thus in the samsung gear 4 (and in the facer app preview also). Did u find meanwhile a fix? Thanx!!

1 Like

Keep it simple …

$#DD#<20?#DM#*360/12:(#DM#+1)*360/12$
1 Like

thanks Andrew, I tried but unfortunately it seems to work wrongly…

1 Like

You have to say a bit more about what is not working. Is your Disk the same as those shown earlier. Is it oriented corectly. Is it out 180 degrees in which case you can change that. Is it rotating the wrong way. Test the formula with a just a hand.
I can not see anything wrong with the Maths.

1 Like

It likely needs adjustment for your origin position (for rotation).

Just an image of your disk would resolve that …

yep, I’ll post it in few minutes.

1 Like

yep, I’ll post it in few minutes.

1 Like

here it is
what I find wrong is the date range for each zodiacal sign, for example Aries should start on march 21st, but with this formula it swap to Aries on march 1st (and so on for the other signs).
Surely there is something I don’t understand. Could you kindly help me?!!
Thank you!
This is the formula (for the left wheel) modified to match the selector
(($#DD#<20?#DM#*360/12:(#DM#+1)*360/12$)+75)
Thi is the gear one on the lower side
(($#DD#<20?#DM#*360/12:(#DM#+1)*360/12$)+180)

Thanx!!

2 Likes

That was the first thing I tried, but unfortunately there are 2 issues:
1: the formula still mismatch the data range
2: without brackets doesnt work on wear os (and the galaxy w4)

1 Like

For which day (in month) you need a value of 1…31, but for math related to month (in year) you need a value of 0…11

Formulae, for left wheel:

$#DD#<20?(#DM#-1)*360/12+75:#DM#*360/12+75$

for lower wheel:

$#DD#<20?(#DM#-1)*360/12+180:#DM#*360/12+180$
2 Likes

As an alternative to @andrew.dowden 's expressions you could try the following for rotation

(floor(((((0.985610092647349*((#DNOW#-946684800000)/86400000))+282.2))%360)/30)*30)

It assumes that the transition point between Pisces and Aires is at 0 degrees. You would adjust the number 282.2 in the expression until the zero rotation angle puts your dial where you want it.

Note that the expression, like any simple expression of this type, assume a constant zodiac ‘month’ length but that is only approximately correct for most months - it will be off by a day or so at the start of year and mid year because, although each sign of the zodiac is exactly 30 degrees, the Earth’s angular velocity about the Sun is not constant ( slower in mid year - zodiac ‘month’ is longer and faster at the end of the year ‘month’ is shorter ).

If you want exact date alignment for the transitions then I can only think of using multiple copies of the dial with opacity expressions set by the actual transition dates ( or I suppose one could add a sine wave of some sort to compensate - mmm, an exercise for another day :rofl: ).

{ oh, and you could replace 0.985610092647349 with 0.98561 without any impact :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: }

5 Likes

Stunning stuff as always . You Guys are Amazing . Topic Bookmarked with Thanks :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great!
I’ll try asap!
Thanx

2 Likes

these topics are great thanks to peple like you @russellcresser who deidicate time to help the other members! thank you sincerely

1 Like

Thanks to all the valuable information guys! Been working on a Zodiac face too, but some formulas just do not want to work on some watches. Either they are too long, or just too many conditionals after another.
Guess, like @mnfudoshin, I will have to settle for @mikeoday’s version.

1 Like

I am intrested in the Zodiac Faces. I will hapily test your work on my Gakaxy Active. A bit old hat now but a popular watch.

This is the one with the final formula by @GAUSS (rotating zodiac picture):Tom - TX-CR22 HYD II - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

This one with the @mikeoday formula (rotating cover): Tom - TX-CR22 HYD II - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

1 Like