New to this. I'm looking for specs or a default dimensions

That’s a very good point. I’ll start doing the same. You’d think I’d already figured that out. But i’m starting to get the hang of this

It’ll be a bit before i publish anything, but it’s fun to start getting acquainted with it, and I learned how to animate objects so that’s always fun.

New toys!

Now what someone needs to make is an Illustrator template that’s got the same grid and size so the elements could be laid out, then translated.

1 Like

Well maybe you’re the guy for the job. I don’t have illustrator so I can’t do it.

Wow I just looked over your profile Linlay you do some very nice work! Very talented.

2 Likes

Thank you, John.

[quote=“syntaxracing, post:19, topic:26250, full:true”]
You can also open the advanced settings menu (rocket ship) and adjust the x and y coordinates to make sure it’s perfectly placed. I personally never never click and drag anything.
[/quote] I think that is the easiest way to do it. I was never good at dragging to the right spot. :sunglasses:

1 Like

No question this is the best. Wish it were ajaxed in with an up/down adjustment.

I won’t be dragging anything anymore

You guys give great advice! now i have some time I can sit down and actually build something.

Odd resolution on my fonts. Seems the two i had uploaded before were just not right. I uploaded another and it works fine.

All the pieces are coming together. Next will be the nuances.

i do have another question. I’ve been browsing through the watch faces. finding something I like then using the inspector to view the tags they used for animation.

Why is it, that some watch faces have that option (the rocket icon) but most don’t? The problem is I have to go into each face to see if it’s there or not. Is there a way to know at a top level when browsing whether that’s going to be an option or do I just have to view each separately?

Sorry for all the questions.

I don’t see why i couldn’t. I’ll make one in the next few days with some default components and zip them all up (probably should do one for Photoshop but this really should be done in Illustrator)

Also, am I right that we can’t use SVG? I could only use PNG

I believe that is correct, no SVG. I’m not 100% sure but pretty sure. I don’t think facer can calculate vector currently. I don’t know anything about illustrator but I’ve seen it make an amazing watch. I normally use Photoshop but I’m steering away from it now.

yeah most people (like me) learned by hacking it up on Photoshop and became proficient that way.

I ended up getting mad and deciding to force myself to learn Illustrator. sicne it’s a vector program this is a perfect application for it. But it’s not a super simple move to switch. You get so comfortable with the keyboard shortcuts it takes awhile to adjust, but once you do there’s no going back and you’d be glad you did if you try. once you get the hang of Ill and the sense of the flexibility of working in vector vs bitmap it’s not a question.

If you ever get to that point you may want to consider giving a lesson a try. i heard Lynda.com has good tutorial lessons but it’s not cheap. I’m sure there are others.

I gave in and went to a local community college to force myself to follow through.

By the way, someone did make a starter template for Illustrator here:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/19757925/Moto-360-Mockup

PSD (i didn’t test this).

also: https://free-psd-templates.com/28free-psd-smart-watches-mockups/

1 Like

Well I definitely agree with you. I do use a vector program for a lot of my stuff. I’ve moved past both these days however and I’m building 3d watches and then converting them over. I’ll post my newest face soon which is the first one that I’ve done this way but I couldn’t be more pleased with the results. It’s just about ready to go I just have to wait on something first. I’m excited to see your next works though.

You do incredibly nice work (i think I’ve told you that before).

I’m pretty sure you could use whatever you wanted and they’d turn out nice.

I think this is my fav of yours but I’m wearing a different one you made

EDIT:

No, this one is my fav of yours

If you have a LinkedIn account, LI Learning uses Lynda.com courses. I’ve taken some good graphic design classes that way. However, I don’t know if they are free or not because I get my benefits through a Microsoft program that I am involved in.[quote=“johnt1, post:25, topic:26250”]
i do have another question. I’ve been browsing through the watch faces. finding something I like then using the inspector to view the tags they used for animation.

Why is it, that some watch faces have that option (the rocket icon) but most don’t?
[/quote] That is probably because the creator of the design chose not to enable Inspector Mode when it was published.

Well thank you, I’m so greatful to hear you enjoy my work. Both of thoes were a mixture of Photoshop and Gravit designer. In fact, the LED one would have been impossible for me to do without a vector program. The new Photoshop can probably do a grid like that but mine is 15 years old so I couldn’t.

Oh also, keep an eye out. I’m currently working on my LED Hv200. You might enjoy that when it comes out. Plus I’m also making a PRO version of the mobvoi contest winner.

interesting. Never heard of gravit before. I have done work in videos, intros and things like that mostly collaborations and selling things on a website but that was simple 3d work using masks and extrusions with After Effects and Cinema 4D. Never tried a tool like gravit but it looks like it ha an ide that an adobe user might pick up quickly.

either way, your watches and linlay’s are both extremely nice

and yes that could be done in Photoshop (the LED) but would be much faster and easier in Illustrator. either way it’s really creative

you could always test. they have a full suite demo that works for 30 days

oh interesting. that’s what I was asking earlier if that could be turned on or off by the developer.

That’s kind of my cheat sheet right now to explore the tags. I have the documentation but seeing it implemented makes it easier for a newbie

Yes, that can be helpful. Sometimes people will edit and turn on “Inspector Mode” temporarily if you ask them for help. I usually turn it off because I rarely rename layers and that might confuse people. I design mainly for women so I usually don’t have more than 10-12 layers at the most. Those I can remember, and the ladies don’t seem to be into multiple dials and gauges.

10-12 layers… i dream of this number. Lol. At the moment, my watchfaces have over 100…

@johnt1 , you can have a peek in my watch faces. I have inspection mode on at all of them.

Thought I had replied to you.

I did look at the inspector on yours and that helps a lot.

Thank you!

1 Like

You‘re welcome.

We are here to help each other.