Newfound Battery Drainage Issue?

I only recently started working on making watchfaces. All of mine are very simple with a picture background and the time, date, temperature, battery percentage and icon of the weather on them. That’s five ‘elements’ and a non-moving picture background. After working on these I like to take them for a spin using them on my watch. Today was the first day and I have noticed a significant decrease in my battery life. Just last week I could have the watch off the charger for a good day and a half and it would be fine. Friday I changed to a fairly complicated animated watchface that I had downloaded and noticed the decrease immediately. I figured it was the animations in the watchface and not only stopped using it but also deleted it from my watch completely. Today it died before twelve hours had passed and now I’m using my own custom watchfaces. Why the sudden drainage? Could it be the app? I don’t imagine my custom watchfaces are doing it because I have used much more complicated watchfaces before and it’s been fine. I don’t imagine the battery is having any issues either because I haven’t had the watch six months yet. Any ideas?

2 Likes

I have found this too we need a fix

1 Like

@Sanzhe @smith3connor
What watch are you using and can you like the face that is draining the battery the most?

1 Like

I’m experience somthing similar. It starts with the last Facer update and Wear Os update in my watch (I don’t know wich one could cause the battery issue). I don´t think are a specific face, I think it’s software issue…
PD: Fossil Q Explorist

2 Likes

@carlosfilippa thanks! can you let me know what version of Facer is running on your watch? You can 5x tap on the screen to see the about screen with that info.

4.6.5_99919 server production
Wear os 2.0 app home 2.16.0.21430…

1 Like

@carlosfilippa Thanks! And you’ve seen a significant increase in battery usage with that version? Any way to quantify it in % per hour now compared to before?

Like I said, Facer and Wear Os were updated tje same day, so I cant say if is facer or not. But my watch has 50% autonomy than before that day. In a Fossil thats is a huge problem because is a low batt watch…

1 Like

the black omega one its already in my favourites mate

@carlosfilippa if you’re able to test a different face than Facer today, that’d be awesome. A good test could be to note the battery %, wear the face normally for 1hr, and note the battery % at the end of that hour. We’ll run tests on our side as well.

I will try to do different tests along the day. I’ll let you know what came out, guys.

2 Likes

Thank you, much appreciated!

I’m going to have to test a regular watch face tomorrow but I can confirm that the watch loses about 5% every half hour and lasts close to nine hours before it goes into power save mode. I refuse to allow that and it ends up dying around eleven hours. I think tomorrow I’ll try a regular watchface and see if it’s the OS or Facer.

In fact last night I took it off the charger for maybe about an hour and a half to two hours tops. I just left it on the arm of my chair as I did other things around the house and I never bothered to put it on. When I picked it up before bed to put it back onto the charger it was at 87%.

I’m running version 4.6.3.2 on a Gear S3 Frontier LTE version.

0hs 100%
Fossil digital
1hs 98%
CFW Grand Sport
2hs 90%
Fossil machine
3hs 87%
CFW Hello-win
4hs 82%
Fossil Kaleydo
5hs 78%
CFW Claudia Recharged
6hs 75%
Fossil Bold
7hs 72%
:thinking: Strange. Doing this test there was not as much loss of battery as happened days before. Although today was a quiet day in terms of phone / cell interaction. I will continue testing to try to replicate the behavior that had previous days.

1 Like

Thanks for the thorough test! We tested on our side too and didn’t see a noticeable difference in battery usage with the latest versions of Facer. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a bug hiding somewhere that happens in specific situations though - if you do see anything weird, continue to keep us posted!

1 Like

It’s been close to two weeks and I have found that the issue appears to be some sort of update pushed to the Gear S3.

I thank you all for the prompt responses and looking into this immediately. I don’t know if I offended anyone accusing this app of the drain but if so I’d like to apologize. This app and Stopwatch are the two most recent apps I had downloaded and I had already gotten rid of Stopwatch.

Hopefully this battery drain issue will be remedied soon.

1 Like