Replica Faces (seems) not for all aloud

@UserUnknow

My first steps on facer were TAG Heuer Clones. You are right, they are getting a lot of syncs… but what are this syncs worth? I made a decision then not to clone anymore - it‘s not right, it‘s not fair. I removed them all and started again, made my own designs and I finally became premium designer. This way i can be proud of my work… It‘s no problem to make a clone for your own special purpose but it‘s not the right way to achieve premium status. And i assume this designers never will…

2 Likes

I did more or less the same (I only bought my Samsung a month ago) , also the huge amount of “fake” faces made me think it was not a problem as long it’s not a real watch. Now that point is clear.

The thing is now that you have to get passed all those fake watches to get even an change to get a face visable in any list… Getting premium is not a goal for me, I make faces for fun not to make money (I already do that) but I always like it when the situation is the same for all users, even it cost the site a lot of sync’s…

We will see, things never change overnight have all a great weekend !

Interesting, I hadn’t seen the recent automated system. Yes, all part of an ever-improving Facer :slight_smile:

Yes. But would you lose such a strong and free new user attraction factor if you were Facer?

If I wanted to be taken serieus yes…

If you want to keep beginning desingers you have to give them a fair change, without the the need to “fight” again fakes…

Look at the Trending list, 90% are branded faces and yes I know users want them, that is why my first 5 faces where fakes… but they all got removed. I’m oke with that as long the rules are the rules… however it would be fair if the rules are the same for anybody…

It took me an hour to collect a list with all fakes from the top 100 and the trending list So I really don’t understand why Staff can’t do that same and remove them… then we can all play fair and do we all have the same change based on quility and talent…

Again, I’m not here to make money and often i’m borred with something pretty fast but as long as I fidel around a bit with the faces I would like it to play nice…

It just suck when you spend a few hours to see your work removed in a sec… (making a good replica is a lot harder then making an original)

It feels even worse if you then browse to the list and you see that a few users have a huge amount of fakes that seems to be aloud…

I will not go as far to publish here a list whith those users but it would be nice if staff explain why they not take a bit of time to get this fixet…

1 Like

I was being ironic. I completely agree with you. Of course it is unfair or, more precisely, it lacks transparency.

In fact, I think there are big issues with Facer transparency when it comes to a lot of things, starting from the premium designer program - with the impossibility to see other designers sync number and to know the revenue sharing terms - to the reason why they leave fake designs on their front page when they openly say they take “copyright and trademark infringement very seriously”. Define seriously, @Facer_Official .

Even if you’re not interested in making money with your watch faces, but you wish to join the premium designer program, you may find interesting to take a look to this couple of threads:

Best wishes.

To be honnest, I do not really care to become a premium designer…

As an hobby I like to make some faces in my off time, I will have the freedom to complete abon this when I get bored and when you sell faces you HAVE to give suport and atention to your buyers…

I own my own company and that really have a lot higher priority :slight_smile: But that does not mean that what I make should have a fair change… Many can not afford to buy faces… I am more then happy to provide them for free

(But if you wanne buy some vintage audio i’m your man :P)

Becoming a premium designer is not only about selling your watch faces. It also gives you access to more design features, such as themeable watch faces.

It should not take more than a few days to remove those fake watch faces from the front page. We will see if they are really “serious” about copyright.

True,

But in my opinon Facer is a little bit for those who can’t get it to Play to make their faces as an apk.

Right now people are “spamming” faces with just a picture and a digital clock and they seems to puke out 40 of them in an hour… Google has rules so this seems easy for them.

Even if your a primium user, you still will not make money, for that you really have to be at Play but then you have to have some talent (a lot of the premium’s have!)

Facer does have a few benefits and even an monkey can publish a face here (look at the recent faces) :slight_smile:)

I just start to get a problem with the fact that staff here seems to aloud some users to keep their fakes on.

Maybe we (users who like to see those go) Can post a list with users who are still aloud to have their fakes on… like thatTtttk person… staff aloud thateven his fakes are in the top 100 and you can’t make me believe they have not the time to fix that… and their are dozens of people like that…

I don’t want to start an riot but If we users help staff a bit they should be able to remove all those fakes in like a day or so…

I am more then happy to start an new topic (of feel free to do so) where we can post those users so staff can take an look and judge is we have to do with fakes or legit faces…

Unknow

I’m a WearOS developer, I publish watch faces on Google Play, and you’re right. A WearOS watch face is an actual Android app. You need to be a Java programmer and use Android Studio to create one. And that’s a good spam filter, as you say.

However…

Don’t be so sure. Premium designers can sell their watch faces on the platform, and Facer has a lot of visibility on Google Play. Just search for “watch face”. Their app has over 1 million installations and everyone can purchase in-app items - the premium watch faces - ranging from 0,99€ to 36,99€. If I were a graphic designer with no programming experience, I would try to become a premium designer. After all, Facer team itself says you can earn a lot of money by designing watch faces and selling them: https://news.facer.io/facer-passes-1-million-smartwatch-users-and-designers-are-starting-to-make-big-selling-watch-8ca6338e00f5

The only thing we know about him/her is that he/she has never posted in the community (but I suspect that he/she soon will) and in 20 days or less (Joined Mar 21 / Seen Apr 12) has posted 38 high quality watch faces. Nearly two / day. Quite a performance.

All of the watch faces infringe copyright properties. All of them are still available and, as a nice side effect for any new app user (and, incidentally, for Facer popularity), all of them are easily found if you use the app and search for practically any famous watch brand. Such a generous contribution from an otherwise unknown non-premium designer, huh? Who wouldn’t fall in love with Facer? I would pay to see the total number of syncs but, alas, it’s impossible.

Wish you the best luck, really. I will be reading.

it’s easy to make a perfect fake… I did and they all where removed…

That is how I got here I bought a S3 Classic could not find a good face and made a copy of my own two watches (Daytona and Air King)… and got kicked…

maybey some users pay staff so they can get atention I dunno but staff really don’t care about their own stuff…

It is picked up by some sites and i’m sure soon staff will explain why they aloud some people to do what they want and why they bann some others…

I’m sure, sooner or later I will be banned for kiking the hornet nest…

Well - at first i must say i am totally with you …

I already adressed this problem with the copyright infringements and the missing reactions as well in the past.

I personally hate Unfairness. Everyone should be handled the same and there have to be common rules what´s allowed and what´s not allowed…

This is not a question whether i am a premium designer or not… I already made the proposal in another posting to set in some kind of brand sheriffs but the facer staff never made any comment to it.

But - we can only speculate and don´t really know what their reasons are. First of all imhO they are a company. A company that needs visitors and potential customers. A company that needs promotion/advertising and big brands, that, as we all know, attract people.

I know, that there is a real flood of very simple watch faces but i also see that people can differ between them and quality watch faces - watch faces that really take days to produce,

And - even if Facer would ban all brand clones - there will always be watchmaker and/or facerepo where you will easily find all that you need.

I don´t know if it will help to post the names of all the “black sheeps” or more be contraproductive…

But i do know that the facer staff will never allow a brand cloner to become a premium designer, even if he/she makes a hundred of thousands syncs.

@UserUnknow I don´t think that they will ban you - the only thing you do is to speak out the truth. It´s an uncomfortable truth but i agree that it must be discussed. It´s their decision if they want to make a statement or not.

Ah - btw could you please write “allowed” instead of “aloud” - it´s irritating for me. :wink:

Greetings, Phantasico aka GAUSS

2 Likes

Tnx for your reaction, it’s good to see it’s not just me… And forgive my English… As an 54 year old Dutch guy my English is not as good as my Dutch :sunglasses:. But I will pay more attention to my grammar, there is nothing wrong with pointing out bad grammar, that is the only way to improve.

No problem at all. My english isn´t perfect as well.

BTW: We are neighbours - i am german… :slight_smile:

Then I will not mention the war :wink: (sorry, I love Basil Fawlty)

Lol. John Cleese is cult.

If you want to use big brands to promote yourself, you usually pay for it.

What you are saying (speculating) is that Facer is intentionally not removing copyright protected watch faces, in order to attract customers, increase its user base, earn money from the app ads, from the upgrades to Facer Plus and from the premium watch faces market.

You say you hate unfairness.Do you find this fair?
The end justifies the means. This is what you really think.

And yet, despite the surprise of discovering your Machiavellianism, you manage to surprise me again.
If you don’t do something wrong, somebody will, so why not doing it, after all? I’m speechless. And you’re so wrong.

And do you want to know why? Because big brands usually turn a blind eye on “fan art” if nobody is earning money with it. But if you start selling it, and premium developers can, that’s the moment when they jump onto your throat.

What the big companies are maybe missing - and somebody should tell them - is that - as per your words - you can take advantage of a brand, without directly selling it. And that’s what’s happening here. You just explained it. And it will keep happening until Facer removes all of the copyrighted content from their catalog, not just the new one or the not-enough-good one.

I agree, But then should Staff aloud all fakes and not just the fakes made by a few users…

I have no problem respecting rules… but here the rules are not the same for every user… that is my probem and yes, it seems there is a reason for that…

I even have an email from Rolex telling they have no problem that I made and publish a copy of both my watches… ( I own an Daytona and an Airking) A brand like Rolex will not loose customers… Nobody who can aford a Rolex will buy a Smart watch and not the real deal…

But again, if the rules are no fakes fine… as long nobody is aloud to do so… But that part seems very hard to understand. I your also a great fan of letting some people ignore the red stopping light… that make just as much sense :stuck_out_tongue:

1. You’re writing “aloud” again. :wink:
  2. You have to draw a line, somehow. Or at least - until you remove copyrighted content - fake it.

Which rules? Public/published rules, actual rules, hidden rules?

Machiavelli would say: “If ignoring the red light gets you faster to where you want to go, do it.”

@GAUSS would add: “After all, even if you respect the red light, somebody will not, so it’s ok if you ignore it”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@veertualia.team

As you said: Its all speculating about what they may think, what their reasons are…

I think you simply want to misunderstand me or want to provocate…

Once again, just for you, my personal suggestions:

-I think it´s unfair to measure in different ways.
-It´s not right in any case to clone brands.
-I don´t think it isn´t right to ignore it.
-The goal doesn´t justify the means.
-It´s not right from the companys to turn a blind eye on brand clones.

To enhance the list:

-The world shouldn´t have criminality.
-We should all live together in peace.
-Every human being should be nice person, pure in heart.
-We all have to follow the rules
-There shouldn´t be dictators/crazy presidents on this earth.
-We all should love each other.

Nice utopia.

1 Like