Smooth second hands

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

I’m having a bit of troubles getting smooth second hands to work.
I use the #DWFSS# tag to set the rotation for my second hands, but it seems to only work in the preview (both in the web creator and in the facer app), but once the face is set on the watch it’s still tick-tick-tick.

I tried displaying the #DSMOOTH# bool for debug purposes, and it shows as TRUE only in the creator, but always FALSE on the watch.

Thing is: I can’t find a way to set it to true: not in the creator, not in the face settings, not in the facer app settings either (I’ve read some old topics mentioning a “smooth second hands” flag in facer settings, but it’s nowhere to be found apparently).

I’m probably derping out :scream:, I know, but I can’t for the life of me find a way to make it work as I think it should… anyone willing and able to lend a hand? :sweat:

That’s a weird thing…

I’m sorry, but I don’t know where one can change that setting.

Here you have a math-based solution, that should give you smooth seconds hand rotation:
(#Dsm#*6)

Thanks for the try, but even with that formula the result is still the same :sob:
It looks like the watch face just can’t keep the framerate high enough… the ticks are, actually, a bit shorter than a single second: it’s kinda like 2 - 2.5 ticks per second, but I’m kinda sure the watch can render things at a pretty higher framerate than 2.5 fps (tried it with other face designing apps and it moved smooth like butter).
Is it possible that something in facer is keeping the framerate down to 2-2.5 fps when the face is active?

(dunno if it can be of interest: the watch is a LG Gwatch R, and the phone is a Huawei P9 Plus)

1. Is this happening with only Facer faces, as opposed to non-Facer faces?
  2. If there is a difference between Facer’s faces can you post links to one face that works well for you and for one that does not?

Not happening with watchmaker faces, nor with pujie black ones: both smooth as butter

Just tried, and there definitely is difference between facer faces.
This one works fine:

This one is a bit choppy (but still slightly better than what I’m getting on mine)

This is not perfect, but quite close:

(all of them seem to be using the normal #DWFSS# tag)

Uhm… I might have found something…
Possible culprits could be conditionals.

So far, I designed just 2 faces, and both of them have this problem.

The first one has a decent amount of graphics (which I don’t think to be a problem), and 6 texts with opacity set through conditionals.

The second one has close to no graphics, and 3 texts with loooooooooong conditionals (hours, minutes and weather conditions in text format in italian language, so each one has a freaking long line of conditions to pick the right translated text)

Now, if I try a simple test on the second one, taking away all the conditioned texts… voilà!: smoothness achieved.

I guess I must come to the conclusion that conditionals can basically kill the framerate of the face :sob:

Wait!
You’ve put conditions inside of conditions?

No wonder you got bat framerate…

If you want to use conditions in a way that doesn’t crash, or slow your face remember to:

1. never use one condition instead of another
  2. never use more than 2 questions inside of one condition

well, not exactly “inside”… just a looooong list of conditions one right after the other
(actually, I thought you could not put conditions one inside the other)

PS: and it’s just on the second watch face… the first one has 6 fields with conditions, but they’re simple ones… and I still get the awful framerate

I would have to see that face of yours in order to help you further.

it’s not published: I thought no point in publishing it 'cause it’s not really “for everyone” seeing that it’s a fully italian-translated-text-based face. I guess the vast majority of users wouldn’t be really that interested.
Dunno if there’s a way to share a non-published face.

I just made another experiment: since you suggested that more than 2 conditionals in the same field could be problematic, I tried getting rid of the long conditionals…
The result is just that I guess I will have to accept no smooth seconds movements on such a face 'cause the only way to do without those huge conditionals is using a ton of different layers, all with a single and simple conditional.
Unfortunately, the result is the same: when layers become too many, the framerate again drops.
So I guess I’ll have to give up either on smooth seconds, or on italian text translations

Hello There!

WATCH

@ZioGian, what you describe here is also very similar to my experience. I tried right now also every of three watch face you copied the link here and it works exact as you mentioned. Another observation (actually let’ call it a personal feeling :wink: ) is, that the smoothness change according to the Facer App & Android Wear Updates.

APP & Web Viewer

At the app & in the web viewer everything is smoothly at app. 90% level. Sometimes the same watch face is running non smoothly even in the app or in the web viewer (I was thinking that this could be the issue of internet connection and/ or the current RAM occupancy).

Technical Data:

Watch: LG Urbane
Phone: Samsung S8 (SM-G950F)
Facer App Version: 4.3.5_4528
Android Version: 7.0

Conclusion: I do not even now why this happen, however I am not so disturbed by this effect :wink: . One Factor seems to be the complication of the watch face as @Mellin is writing.

…and here is the effect we are talking about in a short gif video at the same time. Sorry for shaking hand - it was not easy to hold the watch at the monitor and making video as well. I hope you could see the slight difference anyway. As @ZioGian wrote, at another watch faces the difference could be much higher. Converted gif-video has the frame rate 25 frames a second:

Exactly :slight_smile:

That’s not so bad though, the lag I’m getting on my watch face is pretty worse, but I guess I can understand that three texts with 24, 60 and 10 conditionals each could be hard to handle for facer’s engine (and of course it would be the same with around 80 separate text objects with a single conditional each). I’ll just either accept the 2.5 fps or switch to tick seconds.

I still am gonna investigate on why I get that low framerate on the other face though, 'cause that other one has just 6 text objects with a single conditional each… that should not be enough to 'cause lag, I hope

On my watch (Sony SWR50) frame rate never dropped under 5FPS (with old software), or under 10FPS (with current software).

As for shearing:

1. different language - I don’t think that this is a problem at all…
    If someone doesn’t speak a specific language then they will simply not sync that face.
    At the same time, if you don’t publish it (only share it with different means), that might mean that someone who would like to use that face will not find it easily enough.

2. You can share a link to an unpublished face the same way you do with finished ones.
    I would even say that in this community it is a common practice to share links to unpublished faces when they misbehave - maybe someone else looking at it will find out how to make it work better…

what is the watch that you’re using for this face? Can you share the face with us so we can test it on our watches?

[quote=“Mellin, post:15, topic:15509, full:true”]
On my watch (Sony SWR50) frame rate never dropped under 5FPS (with old software), or under 10FPS (with current software).[/quote]
That would be pretty much enough for me too :slight_smile:
I’ll just have to slow down with conditionals and stuff :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“Mellin, post:15, topic:15509, full:true”]

1. different language - I don’t think that this is a problem at all…
    If someone doesn’t speak a specific language then they will simply not sync that face.
    At the same time, if you don’t publish it (only share it with different means), that might mean that someone who would like to use that face will not find it easily enough.[/quote]
    Guess you’re right… as soon as I’ll considered it (or them) acceptable I guess I’ll publish them then :slight_smile:

Found it, thanks! :slight_smile:

In the end I think I opted for a compromise: I dropped the translated text for hours and minutes, replacing them with simple numbers, I kept the looooong sequences of conditionals only for weather conditions (that one was just about 9 or 10 conditionals), and I added a few single-conditionals-controlled colored numbers.
This way, the framerate got significantly better, more or less like the pluto minimal I posted earlier.

Here are the two versions:

1. Latest, with less conditionals, less translations and more colors (colored temperatures looks too bold in the web preview, but look just fine on the actual watch)
    ZioGian - Testo e Numeri - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

2. The older one, with less colors and a freakingly huge list of conditionals (and an awful framerate)
    ZioGian - TestoeancoraTesto - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

LG GWatch R

Link to the drafts on the previous post (not sure if they’re downloadable though, as they are just drafts at this point)