Take two - Premium Designer

I agree with phantasico. Scan your work if it has been created by hand. A graphics application can size it for your watch face template. (There are discussions around here regarding the preferred size.) By doing that you can adjust and anticipate areas for Facer Creator’s elements that you choose to use.
Add your watermark, signature or logo. Use Creator to upload your artwork as your Background and work from there.

3 Likes

At This point there isn’t much I can say that the others haven’t as far as where to start. They definitely pointed you in the right direction so I’ll just start with, thank you @richgrayson92 for enjoying my work. I’m glad to hear you like it!

As for gimp, it’s a free design program similar to Photoshop. I’ve never used it but I’m sure you can find plenty of youtube tutorials to get you started.

Once you get your feet wet with that stuff come back here and check out some of the coding tutorials in this forum. Also if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Most importantly, make sure to show off your designs in the design showcase. We all look forward to seeing them.

5 Likes

Great, thank! I mostly paint landscapes, but I have some nice night time/city paintings that would lend themselves beautifully to watch faces (I think :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Fantastic, thanks so much! Yes, I better come up with a logo…The generic R I have at the moment is not the best!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll definitely make sure to post them once the’re done. They won’t be able to compete with anything you guys do, but it looks like it’ll be a lot of fun!

4 Likes

Im sure they will look awesome and cant wait to see them.
FACER is for everyone. In this world there are ALL sorts of people that ALL have different likes and taste. Some like goofy, some like to show off their favorite brand, some love the scenery type of faces and Facer is blessed to have some VERY Skilled and Awesome High Tech Face Makers for those people that love the detail and hard work that goes into each of their fantastic creations.

But there are also alot of people out there that really enjoy the more basic faces too. At Facer Ive found that there is something for everyone of all kinds of tastes and likes and they are not prejudice to just the elite. They welcome everyone. The main thing is to just have fun and enjoy your creations. And Im sure if you ask anyone of the Premium Designers, they will agree.

OK SO NOW I’m going to have to do this In hopes that the Facer Staff sees it …MAKE roycaruso A Premium Designer. (smiles)

GrammyLove

4 Likes

Thanks @selia67! I agree, from what I’ve seen so far, the Facer community is very accepting and friendly :slight_smile: I quite like simple and goofy, so that’s good to hear! :smiley:

And yes, @Facer_Official, MAKE ROYCARUSO PREMIUM …pretty please :smiley:

4 Likes

Very wise words - Facer has something for everyone, and one of the best and friendliest communities out there :slight_smile:

Haha thanks @selia67 and @richgrayson92!! No word yet unfortunately, but I really appreciate the support from everyone here (and on Twitter). It definitely makes me smile :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Your “R” may be fine. According to courses I’ve taken on logo design, simple is best and it will become recognizable.

I disagree with a comment above and suggest not showing off your “favorite brand” unless it is your own, or you have permission from a brand to do so. Otherwise it is illegal – no matter where you snagged their design from. Most artists are familiar with the ethics involved in that one.

4 Likes

I meant the generic R with the green background allocated to me by Facer :stuck_out_tongue: But that’s a good point and gives me an idea about a logo I could use (thnx!)

Re: @selia67 's comment, I took ‘brand’ to mean ‘your special thing, your pizazz’, so no harm done :slight_smile: I’m actually an IP lawyer so know a thing or two about branding :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, that one! Yes, that R is more of a forum avatar.

Bravo! I had planned on retiring from designing here because of some abuses I’ve observed, but I may rethink my decision. Thank you for sharing that. :slight_smile: Now there will be two of us to preach about trademarks, copyrights and exactly what “royalty free” means.

4 Likes

First time anyone has ever been happy to hear that a lawyer has entered the building! Oh I could preach on those things until the cows come home! However, I still like the heart and sentiment of @selia67’s comment :slight_smile: I don’t mind @Facer_Official official’s approach, which seems to be DMCA compliant, and reliant upon third party reporting. Since the faces are user-generated content, it would be impossible to manually screen each individual contribution. Ultimately, if a brand has an issue with the free advertising, it’s their prerogative to report it. If they don’t, we have to assume that they’re ‘okay with it’. Don’t get me started on ‘royalty free’ :smiley: Misattribution of content (e.g. ‘from the internet’ or ‘from Yahoo’) and use of royalty free images are my speciality…Yes, I’m boring :smiley:

4 Likes

Very interesting take - I’m naturally paranoid so try to create as much as I can with Facer itself and make finishing touches in Photoshop. I can see how this IP stuff could become a minefield though :smile: I agree that Facer’s approach is quite good given the volume of content and traffic it deals with.

3 Likes

Yes indeed! If people are charging money for their design, then they should be flogged for using anything other than material they’ve generated themselves or have expressed permission to use. If they’re putting it up for free, and remove it if the brand owner asks, then it doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much :slight_smile: Here anyway, at work it’s a different story haha

5 Likes

Some great tips for the newbies among us here! I can’t imagine how many hours go into the faces you guys create…Truly inspirational.I’m definitely on the

#ApproveRoycarusoPremium

bandwagon! I’m also sure that @syntaxracing is well on their way too!!

4 Likes

@Linlay 10/10 for representing us gals. I think the distinction between male and female designs is narrowing though - I’m wouldn’t be afraid to rock @GAUSS, @roycaruso, and @syntaxracing on the regular either!

4 Likes

Thanks for the support @primapple!! Let us know if you need a hand along the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is interesting, I think most of my designs would be considered gender neutral (?). I don’t really design them with a specific demographic in mind :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been through it on the corporate level and personal level. It’s time consuming to deal with, and would be almost impossible for Facer to monitor. I think people should take the high road and do the right thing to begin with. Doing wrong just because they can get away with it doesn’t fly with me.

2 Likes

It would be really cool to see the stats/demographics on people that use Facer/download specific watch faces…Unfortunately, Facer wouldn’t have such data. If only our stat man @Tomas could get involved!

2 Likes