[Watchface] Prime Time

Thank you @johnt1. If you already have and are familiar with Illustrator and Photoshop I would say you are set. I love using Powerpoint but I feel I am starting to hit the limits of its functionality. I will continue to use it as it is what I have access to at the moment but would love to get more into illustrator and photoshop again.
That all being said it is fun to push powerpoint to see what I can produce with it.

1 Like

I love PowerPoint but it does have limits. Iā€™ll usually use Photoshop to create from scratch and then PowerPoint for easy editing and layering. Photoshop can definitely get the job done too though :slight_smile: glad you like my designs! :slight_smile:

Photoshop can not only organize Layer. It has so much possibilities to combine and/or modify the Layers. I am already working with it over 20 years. Powerpoint is a nice program, for sure. And it has a lot features and graphical power, but not even half of Photoshop - when you know how to use it.

I already gave a lot of private courses for Profi Photographers, they were all stunned, what this tool can do. For me, it will always be the first choice for picture manipulation in any way. Itā€˜s the most complex graphic program ever built, with trillions combination to work on a picture.

1 Like

I have never used PP to make anything but a slide show back in high school. Iā€™ve not touched it since. Iā€™ve seen it make some pretty great faces but Itā€™s not something Iā€™m going to try to use. Iā€™ve been using Photoshop for about 17 years now so Iā€™ll stick with that type of program. I am thinking about switching over to GIMP though because my Photoshop is about as old as my experience with it and donā€™t really want to pay monthly for the newer version. It does feel pretty great building something from scratch with Photoshop and having it look so realistic. Itā€™s my favorite part about facing, how real can I make this look.

I tell you something. Nearly every of my watchface is made with Photoshop 6.

It has all i need.

:slight_smile:

I do own CS2 and CS 3 but donā€˜t use them very often.

But you should invest in a good graphic tabletā€¦

I currently face on a Surface Pro 4. Itā€™s nice because I take it everywhere and face when I run into some downtime. Since I have a baby and a full time job time is scarce. I love it, although I wish I had the top tier one, I have the mid level one but it gets the job done. I also have a Wacom tablet if I need to draw on my desktop.

1 Like

I have all the latest Adobe software but thatā€™s because I use it for my primary work. it doesnā€™t surprise me older versions work well though.

I would like to have a good surface. Course in a perfect world Iā€™d get something like a Surface Studio but whoā€™s got 4 grand to spend on that?

Iā€™ve been trying to figure out a solution. I have two Wacom tablets but theyā€™re the old style. I need to get something I can fold down while I work but is big enough for a regular workstation

Well, for sure it would be nice to own a surface studio, but it isnā€˜t necessary at all.

All it needs are a creative mind and a lot of experience and knowledge in the use of graphic utilities like PS, PSP, PP, Gimp or whatever you may use.

The sky is our limit. PHotoshop is limitless if you know how to use it - even the older versions.

A Graphic tablets helps but is not a must have. Mostly i work with the mouse.

Fiuuuuuuu Then mouse is allowed?? Lol I never got used to the tablet, Im one of few video postproducers I know that uses mouseā€¦ Well, I teach now, so I dont work so much lately and I have decent free time to get fun facingā€¦

Wow so are all of you pretty well versed in Photoshop and have done it professionaly in some way? I have no real prior graphic design experience besides designing a couple random things in auto cad in the past.

I have always used photoshop just for fun because I love to make digital art. Although I did use it to make a lot of overlays for my Twitch.tv channel. I miss making Twitch overlays to be honest but I think I enjoy making watches better. Iā€™m slowly trying to transition some of my overlays into watches since I spent so much time on them and now they are just collecting dust so to speak.

As far as professionally, this is the only gig I have used PS professionally. I would prefer a mouse when working with geometrical images like a watch but what I love about the tablet is just being able to use it whenever, wherever and the pen is handy when a mouse isnā€™t present.

Mouse is nice, but if you were to get used to using direct input youā€™d likely not go back. Most have keys to map etc.

I use a mouse now but most things I use shortcuts on the keyboard. itā€™s a lot faster than dragging the mouse around. But to me (and this is just my opinion) it feels much more natural using a stylus. itā€™s hard to explain. Iā€™d love to go back to direct input and surely will. Iā€™m building my new workstation next January so thatā€™s when Iā€™ll get serious.

Of course you donā€™t need a surface. Since most of my work is in graphics/video I just spend all day in those apps so it would be fun to have something like that.

My whole point here is that it amazes me the creativity and resourcefulness you people have to make these in apps that werenā€™t really made for that type of thing. Like people using PP.

2 Likes

Nice I like it!

1 Like