[WatchFace] Type A-13A Pilot Chronograph -Featured 🎉🎊

Introducing the “Type A-13A Pilot Chronograph”, the first watch in my new Military Heritage series.

This face is an interpretation of the 1960’s era Mil-C-6499 standard for the cockpit clock that was installed in most US military aircraft in the 60’s and 70’s, including the F4 Phantom and U2 spy plane.

It can be displayed it in its fluorescent yellow or lusterless white variants, or a mixture of the two. For a more authentic look one can also choose to hide the battery and steps indicators.

Coming soon!

9 Likes

Very cool!

You should try out as well a little more orange at the dials. The original aircraft watch faces were that way…

And there should be a little bit more shadows for the hands - this will make them look more 3-dimensional.

Greetings, GAUSS.

2 Likes

Thanks @GAUSS. I’ll have to look at this as an update as it is already in review. Shadows are turned on for the hands. I guess the problem might be that the automatic shadows from the pale hands are a similar tone to the background so they are merging. I suppose I might be able to add a second set of dark hands underneath to cast stronger shadows. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!

As usual, lots of detail here, Mike. You never disappoint.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I did the “second set of hands thing” to increase the density of the shadows …

Now published :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great work, love the detail!

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Looks better with the shadows.

But another trick: I create an extra shadow layer with PS, for each hand. With it you have far more control depending visibility and you can vary the position…

1 Like

Thanks, yes I used to do that but stopped when auto-shadows was added. I might have to go back to it :slight_smile:

@mikeoday, you and your uncanny attention to detail are killing me here. Great work!

1 Like

Thank you very much - getting the detail right is part of the fun :wink:

1 Like

That looks awesome mate, I too never use the default shadows, I always create a dup and offset both X & Y by 5. I love the texture youve used and the overall clarity of it is superb.I really like the schematic drawing of the design too. I dream to create watches of this quality. Do you guys create them almost entirely outside of Creator and then just import it to add the moving parts like hands etc…

Well, i found a new way for better shadows for me.

I create them already in PS from the hands, in pure black, give them a black border and smooth it. In creator they get different offsets and visibilities, depending on their height.

1 Like

Sounds a good way of doing it, I will have to look into it - thanks!

1 Like

Just featured :slight_smile:
:tada::confetti_ball:

3 Likes