What program do you use?

I won‘t use gimp again, for sure…

I tried Gimp, too, and didn’t like it, but kept telling myself that was because I didn’t know where everything was located and didn’t have the patience to unlearn one app and begin a new one.
Corel’s PaintShop Pro is very similar to PhotoShop, and many PhotoShop files are compatible with it. The negative is that ever since Corel bought it from Jasc, if you are not careful, even though you might pay almost $100.00 for it (depending on when and where purchased - boxed or download), the other “price” you pay is getting an upsell ad once in a while. Bottom line there is that it meets Malwarebytes criteria for a PUP. There are ways to fix that but it’s annoying that we have to do that. I doubt Corel will ever change that because they know the only app that is comparable is PhotoShop at a more expensive price.

You can find a 2020 30-day trial here if anyone wants to play.

2 Likes

Just tried out Paintshop Pro yesterday… after i found the hidden preferences i could really tune it in something nearly similar to photoshop.

The workflow is by far nicer than gimp. It’s a very good program for this price!

Nevertheless i will stay with Photoshop. It has more features, a better handling and… i am used to it.

Greetings and Merry Christmas, GAUSS.

1 Like

Sometimes you can find ways to mimic those extra features with workarounds, but you have to know the program pretty well in order to translate between PhotoShop and PSP. Most of the veteran users have several versions of PSP installed so they can keep the best features of all and get old plugins to work. Currently, I’m using files from 3 versions of PSP and compatible PhotoShop stuff. I’ve been using it since 2000 and still have to watch the tutorials once in a while if I want to try something new…

Ah, i know that stuff with Photoshop as well… A lot of older plugins do work in the newer versions. Same with predefined pattern, Action scripts, layer properties and customized brushes…

GIMP, you really need to change it onto single window mode in preff. It’s much easier to use then

Infinity Designer and some Photoshop.

I’m really shocked no one mentioned photopea.
https://www.photopea.com/
Completely web based, very close in many ways to photoshop. But no install…no hassle.
I have inscape, and gimp. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. One thing I like about photopea, is I can access it anywhere, it’s ALWAYS available, and it’s always the same version.

1 Like