DIM mode -- What's too dark? Is such a thing possible?

One thing I’ve been debating with designs is how bright to make dim mode. After someone told me my dim mode was too bright and would drain the battery I’ve taken to placing a layer on top of solid black and setting the transparency to something like 50-60%.

My watch (LG Sport) has two dim levels (I think!)… it may be a setting in StayLit – to be honest I haven’t checked. So, when I look at one watchface it will be very dark and then for a second before waking it seems like a normal dim mode before switching over to the active face.

To complicate things further, in the daylight it looks fairly dark, but in a darkened setting it’s great.

So I guess I’m wondering if anyone else is trying to find the right balance for their designs. I think since I tend to use more animated designs I’m trying to focus on things to save battery – whereas if I didn’t I don’t think I’d worry too much about it.

Thoughts?

I’ve been trying to piece this puzzle together recently as well. Check out this thread.

Honestly I don’t have an answer but this is what I’m dealing with right now. For my watch the way I do dim is the only way that works but I did research on my screen and if the pixel is pure black it’s turned off and therefor saves battery. I think that’s why my dim is the way it is but it’s also frustrating. Not sure what kinds of screens other watches use.