Dimmed vs Classic

Current using on a Galaxy watch and switching between Dimmed and Classic mode is not having a huge difference in brightness in ambient always on mode. Is there anyway you control the brightness of the classic dim? Seems alot dimmer than standard non facer faces?

Many thanks.

I am also not sure what the difference is exactly between dimmed/classic settings on facer. I would be interested in knowing.

Hey guys!

Hope I can shed some light on this:

• The “Classic” ambient mode shows the Dim mode as designed by the watch face creator. This is the default setting.
  • the “Dimmed” ambient mode ignores the Dim mode designed by the watch face creator and just shows the active mode a bit darker

In both scenarios however, Facer may need to darken the screen if the dim mode is too bright - Samsung watches do not allow ambient modes that have an “OPR” above 15% (i.e. total pixel brightness at 15% of the max). On faces that have very bright Dim mode designs, with a large areas of white/bright colors, this may result in Facer darkening the face quite a bit to achieve the 15% rule. On faces that have dim modes that are mostly black, it should not dim it at all.

If what you’re seeing doesn’t match what I’m describing, it’s a bug and please report it :slight_smile:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail. All makes sense and can now see a difference when using a face that has a different ambient face to the normal one. Shame Samsung chose to restrict the brightness to protect their claimed battery duration which means users have to compromise on the detail of their always on faces.

Thanks again

Indeed, thank you. This knowledge will help when making future dim mode decisions.