[Watch Face] Outcast (what a waste of time)

…very relaxing time that is. :rofl: If you know watches, you might know what its based on. I made some very deliberate changes to avoid a copyright strike, including different minute hand, addition of second movement, date (active) and battery power (AOD). All graphics work done in Affinity Designer, gears designed on geargenerator.com.

6 Likes

That is a very nice watch face, cool style.
The only thing that seems out of tone is the seconds numbers… maybe it’s the font? maybe the rest seems more “abstract”?

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I thought about the numbers, and may actually replace them with markers so that its a little more abstract. I used numbers so that it was clear that the second hand face doesn’t rotate with the rotation of the minute hand, but maybe that’s redundant thinking? I used that specific font because I think it works quite well at small sizes. I have trouble reading a lot of fonts that small.

I’m also not happy with the date. I wish I could do the day of the week with two characters, but I can’t think of any way that you can do that on Facer. I know that in some languages, the usual three character tag actually shows only two, but I can’t control it for English, which is my language. If I can’t figure it out, I might use a three character or image based day of the week in which I could use two characters, and control exactly how it appears. Yeah, I think that might be the way to go.

1 Like

You could make the 0 marker of the seconds wheel stand out, so it is clear it doesn’t rotate.
As for the days, you could use images, or a wheel maybe?

1 Like

Hi, I know of two relatively easy workarounds.
here I found, simplest is to make the two letters appear by expression like:
$#DOW#=0?Su:$$#DOW#=1?Mo:$$#DOW#=2?Tu:$$#DOW#=3?We:$$#DOW#=4?Th:$$#DOW#=5?Fr:$$#DOW#=6?Sa:$
Using such expression will limit the abbreviations to one fixed language.
Other way, little more complicated, is to use font with fixed width, align the field with #DE# to left and cover the right side with small mask with window for just the two letters. Note the #DE# produces abbreviations in various length from 2 to 4 letters, sometimes adding dot.

3 Likes

That’s awesome, thank you! The expression is fine for me, and easier than the other way, and easier than recreating something in graphics.

2 Likes

v.1.1 now reflects these changes, and a few others.

7 Likes

Nicely done! Of course I know the muse :slight_smile: Years ago I made a version of one of these too. I love the whole series, it’s one of my favorite brands in general stylistically. They cover a wide range but such great decision making with every piece.

2 Likes

Yes, they are way out there, and I love em for it.

1 Like