Help with ZODIAC Rotation

Hello everyone.
I am completely new to the Facer world and before I am going to attempt programming the watch face I want, I did start previously by programming my clock face with javascript and I got stuck with the zodiac.
In my case it is a 24-hour analogue clock, so the hour indicator is actually representing the sun’s actual position in the sky related to the timezone of the observer.
I have designed a simple zodiac disk and don’t want it to be static like in the examples shown above.
I want the actual active zodiac sign to rotate with the hour indicator, so it is a linear rotation rather than flipping the sign on the day of the sign change.
I wonder if someone here has javascript skills to help me with this issue.
My javascript skills are not enough developed yet to figure out how to start the rotation of the zodiac wheel at the right angle - depending on the actual hour and in the right amount so that the hour indicator will cross over to the next sign at the correct dates.

So, basically, the hour indicator crosses one sign in 30 days.

I have looked into the linked examples of watch faces with rotating zodiac discs, but they all do the same. they only flip to the next at a static indicator position from month to month. I want mine to rotate in real-time with the sun. This is the case in the real world and this is what I want to show on my clock.

When I have my javascript version of my clock ready, which has more elements than just the zodiac, I will then attempt to design a watch face here and in the time until then, I need to study how this is done here.

1 Like

I am confused . You are on the Facer Community talking about Java Script . Do you want Help with Facer Tags ? I can not help you with Java Script .

I like a smooth Zodiac . It fudges the issue of day the sign changes nicely , and as you say it is an analogue event .

Here is a test for you . It obviously does not account for the orientation of your Image . You will have to add or subtract an adjustment angle . you will see the Summer is up on the test . I you want it to go the other way add a minus sign to the beginning of the formula .

This looks a little over the top because it accounts for Leap years .

((0.5-(#DD#/(#DIY#)))*360)

Get back if you need more help with Facer stuff.

Get back if you do not know how to inspect the face an pull out the Formula .

thanks for the feedback.
I came here to Facer after an unsuccessful search elsewhere and my ultimate goal is to create a pretty deep watch face. I am not sure yet, how deep facer actually goes with its possibilities of functionalities. I don’t want to walk into a dead end.
The watch I want is more than just a good-looking face. I want to work with the data it shows to each moment of time. There is a rather large project behind this, which I am working on for over 10 years now.
I studied media design and I have only basic knowledge of programming. Because I could not find a suitable programmer yet, who is willing to team up and capable of doing what I need, I decided to start myself to get at least a proof of concept.
I have the clock already ticking on my Mac, made with Objective-C and started all over again to program it web-based in javascript. For me, it is a lot of trial and error and watching lots of tutorials until I am getting a step further.
I am familiar with modular programmings, like facer does it here, but before I start learning something new right now, I want to research first a bit deeper, if facer is really the right way to go.

I saved your formula and try to understand what it actually means.

I thought from the start, that it was a rather long shot to ask here for help.
…but, who knows :slight_smile:

Thanks

2 Likes

I am not a programmer but a little bit experienced in creating watch faces. It would help if you explain precisely what your special watch should be able to do…i think then you will get some help here…

Greetings, GAUSS.

1 Like

@kosmasolarius I thought you were asking about rotating a circular Image of the Zodiac signs . What I have done for you will perfectly do the job if you apply it to a test face . I presume you have had a look at the Facer Creator UI . I can not tell you if Facer is the best place for you to start . I can assure you it is one of the easiest .
you must have had a look at the work others have don e . Try a search on the web page for Zodiac and see what comes up . I think you will be amazed . I am .
This is the LITE version of the watch I designed for myself . Mine has Equinox and Solstice markers on it . If you care to look on my Profile there are a few Zodiac things . You will see that I am more interested in the relationship between the sun and the moon .

2 Likes

Welcome.
Maybe just to make sure, do you plan to make a watch face for smartwatches, not phone or PC clock apps? If so, the facer has most of the platforms covered and if you want to know what is it capable to compute or what imputs you can use, see the docs here:

2 Likes

Hi GAUSS, I would love to explain all details, but it would exceed the frame of a forum discussion.
This is why I was focusing only on one thing.
Flipping a zodiac each month to the next sign is pretty simple and I can do that.
What I am not able to do is a crucial detail for the functionality of my project.

I want the actual active sign to travel with the hour indicator and the clock face will have a 24 hour division and not the typical 12 hour face.
On a 24 hour face the hour indicator actually represents the position of the sun and this is where the zodiac sign is. So I want to animate the real thing and I am having a hard time figuring out how to program this.
I was searching the internet for a while now and I simply can’t find a starting point on how to program this.
So, basically, the zodiac disc is rotating at a slightly different tempo than the hour, so each zodiac sign will travel with the hour indicator for the duration of this sign being active and then the next sign is doing the same. Basically just a rotation in a different tempo.

1 Like

@kosmasolarius. I can not Imagine what you are trying to do. Here is an Inspectable Draft I made some time ago. May be there is something here of Intrest to you.

1 Like

@kosmasolarius So with this one the Zodiac Disc runs smoothly which I prefer. It is difficult to get the stepped one to flip on the correct day forever. So the smooth one fudges the Issue and also represents better the transit of the Constellations in reality.

Published Inspectable Face.

1 Like

So it seems to me you want the relevant Zodiac Sign to rotate with the Sun hand. The sun hand is just #DWFHS# with 180 degrees added. We will just add the zodiac formula to the sun hand formula. I see the point that the Sun will then be in the House of that Sign. But that is not what happens in the Sky. I will happily help with this but I do not want us to waste our Time. Get back, we are getting near the Goal.

1 Like

The example you sent is indeed very close, but only halfway.
The SUN is the hour indicator in my imagined version and yes, the zodiac has to rotate along with the sun, because this is what is going on in the sky.
When you are born let’s say now in December the sun is at the Sagittarius sign and since our planet is rotating every 24 hours, the clock should have a 24-hour face and not 12.
I want to see the whole day on my watch and not a half and when you put the 24th hour on the bottom, then the bottom half of the clock is the night and the top will be the day, to the left the sunrise hours and to the right the sunset hours.
Even the sunrise and set hours can get represented by a moving horizontal to reflect the real times during the seasons.
Of course, all will be depending on the user’s location (timezone).
I am developing this concept for a long time already and there will be much more to get implemented.
I am a trained media designer and not a programmer, so I am having a hard time getting forward with the code I am working on.
Originally I started with some visuals, then I attempted to program it in X-Code on my mac and at least I got the clock ticking on my computer, but implementing the other rhythms like the zodiac rotation was the end of my abilities.
Later on, I thought I should program this again in Javascript since this is the only programming language which is understood by most devices, but again my programming abilities aren’t good enough to get this done.
The clock face example you posted above is pretty much what I want. Just the Sun needs to become the hour indicator and the thing would start working as intended.
I am not sure, if I can turn the scripts you guys use here into a javascript.
I also want to get one of these faces here, but before I start all over again to learn again something new, I would love to get my javascript version working first.
I expect, that I will learn some important stuff once I have that code working and my ability to understand a code when I read it is better than coming up with my own code.

Hope this explanation gives you a clearer image of what I want to achieve.
I do have visuals, but I am a bit concerned about sharing them here openly, so anyone would be able to grab the idea and make it. So, I am a bit careful to share too much detailed information.

Russell, are you a programmer? If so, maybe we could collaborate and if you are interested, then send me an email and we discuss this in private.

Send me an email

1 Like

I am an amateur programmer . Every thing I have showed you so far has a 24 hour hand in the shape of the Sun on it . So here is another example . The day light arc is shown and the high noon mark . I will not pretend to know about the Motions of the Constellations . I am happy to try help Here or By DM . I am not up to getting involved in another collaboration at the moment .
If you want me to show you a Test with e Zodiacs linked to the 24 hour hands I have shown , you just say .

1 Like

@kosmasolarius . Sorry I could not help myself . I hope you get to see this . It is always surprising to see how little you know about a subject till you look into it .
I note it is very important to have your Images Orientated correctly .
I hope you understand the very basic Formula. I can not say if it compensates for all the Leap years Forever .

1 Like