Importing images - Different Sizes

Just a curiosity question/comment. Whenever I import an image, the creator automatically resizes them. I specifically create images at a certain resolution (with either a 320 height or width to fit the watch), but each time when it is uploaded the image is smaller.

For instance I just uploaded an image that is 569 x 320. The creator imports it at 284.5 x 160. Exactly 50% smaller in size. Since I like doing animated faces, this means I’ll have to resize every image I import. Can this be fixed? Or should I create all my images 50% larger before importing?

I’d suggest making all images 320x320 square (do your cropping in your editor). Does that size image get resized?

I develop all of my faces at 960x960. They all scale exactly to 320x320 by the Creator. I have 1 or 2 that are weird sizes 720x720 or something strange like that. I think multiples of 320, you’re ok.

John

Since all images I upload are being scaled into 320x320, I double that while creating images.
Also I I remember that is currently the highest resolution of a smartwatch (640x640). Cas someone correct me on that?

I’m still curious why the weird resizing of my 569x320 image goes to 284.5x160. Does it automatically half the dimensions? Does it do this on one that is 320x320. I guess I can experiment with a few sizes to see which ones get scaled. I wonder too if it matter what the PPI on the file is? When in Photoshop, what do you set things as? The standard 72? or something like 300?

I think that 2 px of an imported image is equal to 1 unit in the editor, so as long as the end (rescaled down) size fits the editor’s watch screen (320x320) it shows its dimensions as half of the original image, even tho it is supposedly full scale in the editor.
And when rescaled image exceeds the 320x320 size it scales it down even more, so that the longest dimensions equals 320.

So I just did a test with 2 PNG images. It appears all images are resized to half. The 320x320 image was reduced to 160x160. The 640x640 was reduced to 320x320. The only other file details was that it was an 8 bit depth, but I don’t think that would matter to the uploader.

I still wish there was a way to determine the overall file size of the face. Some sort of aggregate of all the images and elements you are attaching. From my experience so far, a face over 10MB starts to really lag. This has been extremely limiting in my designs since I have focused on animations so far. I really wish I could know if I was saving space by importing at 640x640 (and auto sized to 320x320) vs importing at 320x320 (auto sized to 160x160), then resizing back to 320x320. Are these comparatively the same image sizes in Kb?

1 Like