What helped me in the beginning is creating my own collection of tutorials/guides in a document that I can go back to and reference.
Stuff that comes up a lot, some examples:
- Orbits (objects circling the edge of the watch / second hand)
- Elliptical orbits (as above in andrew's example)
- Counting down to a specific date/time
- Sunset/sunrise fading
- Animation generator
- Image swaying
- 2 frame background animation
- Rotating images at specified intervals
- Moving objects (specific angles, speeds, timing, etc)
- Squarewave (another animation style)
- Blinking/pulsing objects
If I'm playing around with someone's formula and notice that I've stumbled into a cool effect I'll make note of it..
Once you get familar with things, looking at other watches with inspection mode, you can see how they achieve an effect. The biggest thing is not being afraid to playing around with something and see how it works. For a formula, I'll make a copy and alter the 2nd one and see how things change.
Anyways feel free to ask anything, people will always be willing to help.