[Survey] Signaling Animation in Watch Faces

I’m curious as to how designers feel about the need to include the word “Animated” in watch face names.
A few designers do it, although most don’t. (So far I haven’t, since the names get too long.)

• I mention or explain animations in descriptions.
  • I tag with the word “animated.”
  • I include the word “animated” in watch face names.
  • I do nothing and hope for the best.

0 voters

On facer.io, animations (and tags) aren’t apparent from search hits and designer profiles. They become apparent if users click through to an animated watch face’s dedicated page.

@Facer_Official Would it be worthwhile for animation to be apparent post-search in a standardized, small, unobtrusive form - e.g., with a superimposed “hey I’m animated” icon?

I guess that depends on how much of a biggie it is for watch face buyers? If it is then yes do it, it not, avoid as it’ll clutter that doesnt bring any real value to the party

@patdude Are you in the “I do nothing and hope for the best.” category?

I find it hard to gauge how much users care about animation as well.
I suspect I value it less than the average user, but have no way to find out for sure.

I’m always concerned about the battery because my watch is getting some age on it. If animation drains battery life, I feel that people should know which designs include animation before they sync.

I usually mention in the first sentence or two in the description. Also I add it as a tag. Only used it in a handful of titles if it were short still.

No I am just being pragmatic - an unholy amount of Facers limited internal resources could be wasted on this exercise, which at the end of the day is really akin to asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin… I suspect facer probably have bigger fish to fry.

A lot happens every time a watch face gets published …in an automated fashion.

Adding a tiny icon can’t be more resource-intense than the drop shadow feature, can it?

I would imagine I’m the biggest dancing angel here. Most of my designs try to incorporate animation in them. But IMO I don’t mine the if there isn’t an “animated” category. I just put it in the description and tag sections. That lets me place the design in the category it fits for the overall design and not necessarily a design element. I count Animation in the same theme as Analog vs Digital.

Alright, I guess this Animated icon is not happening.

I’ve started appending - Animated to my watch face names.