Tutorial – How-To (Animated Gifs)

Since you have only 8 images there and plan to use them all within 1 second, there is a sequence element in which you can insert your images as separate frames and set how long should take the whole loop.

I dont know why are you trying to reinvent the wheel, but If you insist on using formulas for individually timing separate images, I would suggest two tweaks to the formulas. Substitute #DWFSS#/6 in place of #Dsm# (which does not provide right values in preview), use %1 instead of subtracting #Ds# to get the milliseconds. Something like $(#DWFSS#/6)%1>(0*0.125)&&(#DWFSS#/6)%1<=((0+1)*0.125)?100:0$ and so on.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Ive tried Sequence various times and can never get a satisfactory result. I tried with this one and I couldnt get the rain to actually drop as individual drops, instead sequence just layered them on top of each over and rain the sequence that way. I guess i could do a sequence for each drop but maybe Im missing something, any suggestions?

As for the formulas, thats just how I had it explained to me by numerous creators so I didnt consider that there might be different ways of expressing those commands. Ill play around with your suggestion and see what comes up.

2 Likes

There are so many ways of doing everthing on Facer and Other Apps .
You have to show us your Inspectable Draft .Or a screenshot . It is impossible to know exactly where you have got to .

2 Likes

I looked into the following images formulas. They seem to have one more strange thing to them.
>(0*0.125)& and <=((0+1)*0.125)? I think the 0.125 is a fraction of second you get by dividing 1 by number of intended frames, in this case 8. So the number should be in formulas of each image of that set same, or there should not be the part for counting the order in the sequence. Also the images in your draft seem to be spread in the area, while the animation of splash should probably show at same spot.

2 Likes

Ya I’m stuck. I tried your formula and didnt get any motion whatsoevcer. Cant get sequence to do anything either. WIll continue tinkering around.

2 Likes

Ha Ha Sorry . I see you posted a link but I can not open it any way . I suggest you open some of the work that has been Published Open for Inspection . See how the Cogs work . You really are trying to start your journey in the most difficult way . Steep Leaning curve that will teach you a lot though .

1 Like

Ive got sequence kind of working for me. Still fussing around with the formula’s. Heres where Im at? Ive inspected tons of animati on’s but I cant find a lot of good material that offers explanations other then here and sone of the recipes Facer puts out so im not sure how else I would start my journey.
\

1 Like

If you are referring to the Link further up the Topic I can not open it for some reason . Otherwise please share another link to what you are referring . I see some animations on your Profile so you must be making some headway . As they are Premium I can not sync them .

1 Like

I manually corrected the link. Try this:

2 Likes

They are both quite messed up now as I got tired of trying so many different formulas and variations of them.

1 Like

Sequence is the best way to go in my opinion. You can Edit/Manipulate and/or create animations easily using ezgif. I love animations and use that very often.
Here are a couple of examples of how I use Sequences, with Inspection Open -
One using Rain applied as a background layer first:

3 Likes

I don’t know why I keep getting 404 on the links @brandonfortin11 has posted . But well done Peter @petruuccios .

Upon Inspection I see you have several errors .
Your Formula is a NOP but very close .
$(#Dsm#-#Ds#)>(0*0.125)&&(#Dsm#-#Ds#)<=((0+1)*0.125)?100:0$
#Dsm#-#Ds# always gives you a number under one so if yo add one to it it can never be True . I do not understand why it is showing at all .
As Peter has mentioned already #Dsm# is broken . That might actually be why there are blips showing .

I you could carry on as you were it could be
$(#Dsm#-#Ds#)>(0.125)&&(#Dsm#-#Ds#)<=((0.125)*2)?100:0$ ETC

Use the same Timer strategy but use #DWE# and modulo it to 8 . So your formula above could be .
$((floor(((#DWE#-(floor(#DWE#)))*10))%8))=0?100:0$ ETC.

I would organise my images so the centre was on centre of each frame . Then you could drop them into a Facer Sequence Layer as @icrltd4 has outlined.

1 Like

Okay that makes sence. Ive used ezgif before to split gifs into fframes. But after that how do you remove the backgroud from the rain? My normal background remover program doesnt recognize the rain.

3 Likes

Background removal is pretty much hit and miss in my experience, but I find Unscreen the quickest/easiest to use online -

4 Likes

if it is a flat out black background, I use the layer option in my program (gimp) to set color to alpha (transparency) and it makes everything in that color according to the shade fully or partially transparent
droplet

4 Likes

We are OK now the Cavalry are Here . :+1::blush::rofl:

Also the mentioned ezgif page is pretty “mighty”

4 Likes

Thanks Russell!

That formula worked fine for me but have run into a similiar snag now. Ive linked an example but essentially when i use $((floor(((#DWE#-(floor(#DWE#)))*10))%8))=0?100:0$ it works as it should but after adjusting the *10 to *3 to get $((floor(((#DWE#-(floor(#DWE#)))*3))%8))=0?100:0$ in order to have to animations walk slower across the frame it once again will only display the first 3 frames and then cuts out and loops back again.

One thing I have found playing around is that if I changed the name of my frames from 0-7 and stop at 2 then start over with 0a, 1a, 2,a then 0b,1,b,1c, ect that the frames do reappear and work as they should just the timing is now off.

1 Like

You see . You wer originally talking about a sub second cycle of events .
(floor(((#DWE#-(floor(#DWE#)))*10)))
Does noting but give a count of Milliseconds in a second repeatedly . We have to use this because #Dsm# is broken .
There are many ways to time Stop frame or sequence animations . The best way is to use a timer like #DWE# and #DNOW# that does not Zero . But we have to have a rough Idea of the Cycle time befor we chose a stratergy .
We can just the rotational tags like #DWFSS# but that counts 0to 360 in a minute so we can only Multiply it or we get jumps crossing Zero .
Any way try tell us what cycle you want and I am sure we can work it out .
BTW You do not have to Publish your work to Show us here . Just post the Link to the Inspectable Draft here . I see , without going on my Laptop , you have a figure you want to cross display in 8 frames . You must realise that is never going to look smooth .
You will see in this Example . That I have moved ( zoomed ) a Sequence I was given by a fellow Maker .

2 Likes

All the images you’ve used are set at different heights, and they don’t all seem to be the same person walking to me. That’s a bloody complicated way to simply have some guys walking across when you could just use 1 Sequence with an offset X Position instead :thinking:
Man Walking Gif 02
Here’s an example I threw together quickly to illustrate how quick and easy it is when you’re just using one Sequence to traverse across the display (Inspection is Open) -

And here’s the Gif if you want it, only 23 Frames -
Beatles Gif 01

3 Likes