What program do you use?

To change the color, you have to go on the “Material menu” below.
click on “new” to create a new material.

Then, you can change several parameters:

• diffuse is the color of the object / just click on the color to change the RGB values
  • specular is about how the light is reflected by the object
  • shading is how much glossy the object is

I guess, you are using the default rendering system which is “Blender Render”. The ultimate level is the “Cycle Render” which uses the “Nodes” but quite complex to explain in few minutes … I’m sometimes lost in the settings but so many possibilities :head_bandage: … maybe too much complex for a watchface …

2 Likes

Nothing is to complex to create a watch face. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah sorry. I use cycles and the node system but I apparently had scrolled down all the way on the materials tab so when I clicked on it all I saw was my poliigon converter add-on. So I had thought maybe text had a different material section but couldn’t find it. After looking for awhile I realised I juat needed to scroll up to select one of my materials. Haha super noob moment but thanks for your help.

1 Like

I don’t know about that. I’m still trying to get the courage to try it with PowerPoint. :neutral_face: After using PSP in various versions for years, it’s just too easy to go back so I know where everything is.

2 Likes

haha, and these are the words of the master champion :wink: congrats for your top reward during the mobvoi contest @GAUSS . No doubts about that, you deserve it for sure !!!
Well, nothing is too complex except that sometimes the 3D modeling effects are lost on the 2D watchface … quite frustrating when you have spent hours (… or days) in designing :frowning:

No matter @Orakix ! the blender panels are like a jungle … I spend hours to find some functions !
About the materials, I’m still looking how to clean the drop down list to remove the unused one … seems not possible.

Hmm, i know very well that it is a heck of work building 3d watch faces and finding the best material and render settings. It’s the same way in AutoCad. And sometimes it is frustrating. But we are fighters, aren‘t we? And there will come a time when we solve all these problems.

3 Likes

I hear ya. My newest one is proving interesting to say the least. It’s super easy to see the depth from an angle but directly above is not quite so noticeable.

2 Likes

wish I had the time to learn all that. I’m limited so I’m using GIMP, Photoshop, and PowerPoint for the most part.

I use Photoshop for both my indices and numbers. I am very picky about presentation, so I tend to use a LOT of layers, with each number on its own layer. I then use my math skills to set the angle of rotation for individual numbers in a grid layout. It might seem like a bit of extra effort, but it gives me the ultimate control over my presentation.

PowerPoint. I tried to use Blender but it is too complicated.

Why PowerPoint? True, Blender is a 3D design tool and is too complicated for creating 2D elements such as tick marks, etc. Why not use Gimp? It is free and is a fairly powerful substitute for Photoshop. Inkscape is a decent free alternative to Illustrator when it comes to vector design needs.

You would be surprised how much you can do with just PowerPoint. It is highly underated as a design tool. @Tomas is one of the wizards with PowerPoint. I believe he does all his designing in it.

I’m not discounting PP as a design tool, but it’s primary purpose is presentation, not design. After all, a claw hammer can be used as a chisel. To each their own.

My Photoshop is ancient and I’ve never figured out how to rotate to a certain degree. I can only click and drag… Maybe I just don’t know how but that’s why I use gravit for flat indices but I can actually make 3d ones just as fast if not faster in blender. The mirror modifier is brilliant.

Edit>Transform>Rotate. Your controls are usually at the top of the tool bar on your left.

Hour indexes get rotated by 30 degree increments. Minutes and seconds are rotated by six degree increments.

Well i am actual working with CS 2, before that, only two years ago with PS 6.0. :slight_smile: Even the old versions are great !

I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 sometime in the late 1990s. While I use other programs for specific purposes, I generally composite everything together for final imaging in Photoshop.

Google, MS Paint, JPG to PNG online tools and Creator :slight_smile:

Gimp & occasionally inkscape, because I’m cheap :smiley:

And honestly I find I can do most things in Gimp & the community is great about putting out tutorials explaining everything

1 Like