A copy of someones else's work

Anybody recognise this watchface?

It was one of my first attempts at designing a watchface but it is based on somebody elses work with my ideas added so it is not wholly mine.
I want to publish it but I want to acknowledge (or at lease ask) the original designer as well - anybody know who made it?

2 Likes

Looks like bit like an A.Lange & Shone , Flieger to me. Many have made those Faces . Just credit the Fabulous Community.

1 Like

I don’t know exactly what the model you referenced looked like, but whoever created it, was himself for sure inspired by watches known as Beobachtungsuhr, which were manufactured in 1940s by one Swiss and multiple German brands (IWC, A. Lange & Söhne, Wempe, Lacher & Company/Durowe (Laco), Walter Storz (Stowa) by specification of German imperial air ministry. Those look pretty generic to me by now.

2 Likes

Seeing other peoples work is always an inspiration, and I often take that inspiration and add quite a bit of my own spin on it. Don’t think there is anything wrong with that and it’s kind of how the community grows. Car companies do that all the time.

It’s always nice to give the credit where it is due though, and ask permission if it is flaggrantly copying something. I’ve asked to use a photo as a background in a face, and was refused once. Oh well…

3 Likes