A new 3D face and something to share

Hi everybody. Made this face based on a animation crafted in Blender. I sliced a cylinder in 12, each for each hour and animated them.

In Blender all animations look excellent. In Facer, as you know, we got some limitations. Limitation on how much images you can import in each sequence. The other is of course the overall limitation about how much images and data you can build in a face. And then, you cannot save your face. Damned. It happens me a lot, because i am a fan of animated faces which give a illusion of 3D and some beautiful entertainment of course.

I soon got stuck with the overall limitation. I wanted 6 sequences of each 25 images. No cigar. So, as always with limitations, i started to think a little bit out of the box. The challenge was to still have the full animation into this face. How can i do this being limited overall…

So, that is when i got in overdrive… i divided the full animation in 2 blocks in Blender. As you see here, the starting position of the camera is on the side of the mesh object, here a watch. And during the animation i let each slice (= each hour) sink and become red at the bottom and on the sides. Half way (passing the 6-hour-animation) i let the camera be above the face. So from then on, you see the animation from above going from 7 to 12 o’clock. And this made me rethink and find the solution.

I could capture the part of the animation for an hour (at 7 o’clock) and put the right formulas into the field orientation of this sequence, where i let it turn for each hour with 30 degrees. E voila, i got the full animation in high resolution till 12 o’clock, which was the challenge.

So, to summarize, you can put 100 images in 4 sequences, if the animation is repetitive… for each hour. And use the orientation field to let the beautiful and fluid 100 images animation turn to the next position (or do something else with it), in my case another hour. Or you can as i did here, combine it. 75 images in 3 non-repetitive sequences, and the rest (at 7 o’clock) repetitive.

So, in the end, divide your animation in non-repetitive and repetitive parts. You still have the overall limitation of images and pro sequence, but you can extend your animation if you have a repeating part (which is often the case because many animations are looping), as i wanted here the full high resolution animation.

Hope it helps solving some animation issues…

If not, well, keep searching.

As always with animations, if you want to see the full animation, you need to awaken it.

BC

3 Likes

Cool stuff! Its these kind of limitations which bring out the best!

I recall working with developers in the Ukraine (ages ago) who had slow PCs and servers, because the newer generations were just not available in their country. Their software was so efficient, lean, and fast because they had to work with the hardware/CPU/memory limitations. Our client was very impressed with the software but still conducted a code review (huge effort…) and they only found 2 typos!

2 Likes

Great story Tom, thx for sharing. Yeah, we excel too under pressure. Often new know how derives from that which can be used if we are creative, pushing ourselves. But still, I do not like these bottlenecks, but somehow they are hopefully temporarily, unavoidable. So we dig and dig.

2 Likes

@pbervoets . I made a 100 frame animation thing that I wanted synced to the real time clock so it was in sync with the second hand and displayed the whole sequence on the Apps Preview .
Because Trigger on Sync on Sequences is Nonsense and Wake is on wake I decided to do it frame by Frame . Too much work to keerepeating . I have done a few now . It is all about personal satisfaction really . What you have done there is amazing .

3 Likes