Ability to use Tags & Formulas when choosing colors

This would be an extremely helpful feature.

It allows you to do things like create a progress bar or circle that changes color based upon percentages. You can have different color based upon situations like day vs. night.

This will add unlimited capabilities to the coloring of each item on our watch faces allowing us to be even more creative with our designs.

Not entirely sure what you’re saying here, but changing colours of different things can already be achieved using the correct Formula/Tag in the Opacity box. For example, I use this expression to show a healthy green colour on a Battery Percentage bar when the value is 75-100% - $#BLN#>75&&#BLN#<=100?80:0$ and I’d obviously change the first 75 and last 100 for different values. (The 80 at the end is just the actual Opacity level). Obviously the same kind of Formula could be applied for other things, such as certain times, or am/pm. Oh, and for day or night this expressions can be used in Opacity - $#DISDAYTIME#==true?100:0$ where the words true and false are used to change between the two.
You can see my use of the different colours for Battery Percentages and Day/Night images in this Face I published quite a while ago where Inspection is turned on -

1 Like

@CC-Designs
It is also possible to fade between 3 colours.
Here is a Test I made from code stolen from @petruuccios
This is the new inspection mode. So we will see if it works.

So Delete the leading * and /inspection then you get the old preview

Click othe name of the watch to go to Preview where you can click on the Little Rocket.

Or the new link which takes you straight there but no preview.

1 Like

Your methods requires using multiple meters or images and using opacity to change between them. By adding abilities like formulas you can have one meter or image and add to it a formula in the color to allow changing between the different colors.

Example formula for battery meter color would be: (#BLN#>=50?#00ff00:(#BLN#<50&&#BLN#>=25?#ffff00:#ff0000))

This would make 50% or higher battery level color Green. 25% to 49% would be Yellow. Anything else would be Red.

This would make the image upload to the watch smaller and allow you to have less items to have to work with making it easier and more efficient to create troubleshoot the watch faces.

1 Like

@CC-Designs Yeah that would be Fantastic. I have done a bit of work with Arduino and Addressable LED Rope Lights. It is great to be able to vary the colour with a single number.
Your Topic just got another vote and is Bookmarked but I think I know what is going to happen with this Idea.
We can Always Hope.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s plenty of us that would like to use that colour changing formula @CC-Designs but unfortunately (#BLN#>=50?#00ff00:(#BLN#<50&&#BLN#>=25?#ffff00:#ff0000)) isn’t working for me :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah . On the Arduino . The Red, Green, Blue, Values are comma Separated . It is only treated as one Number by the Processor : )

1 Like

That is why this is a features request. There is no place to put in a formula in the Color section. :grinning:

1 Like

It would be nice to have, but I still don’t know how would it help me to make the “seamless” transition trough different colours, like @russellcresser demonstrated, but with just one layer. :thinking:
Maybe there would have to be separate decimal fields for each of the the RGB fractions?

2 Likes

I have a “seamless” transition in my temperature based watch.
Basically it has a bunch of layers and the opacity goes from 100 to 0 on them so you get a fade as opposed to a hard switch (check out when you go from dim to active):

2 Likes

Thank you @ThaMattie. Will check it. But I guess it is a little misunderstanding due to my limited english. I have used seamless transition before too, but it needed 2 or 3 layers too.
The point was, that ability of simply adding a tag into one hexadecimal colour field, would probably not help me in my case to reduce the needed layers to one anyway.
It would be needed to have 3 decimal fields for simple calculations.

2 Likes

I agree, a color field that allows expressions to calculate colors would make this a lot easier yeah, this was just a way to do it now, because we don’t get a lot of feature requests implemented so far…

2 Likes

Well if you add the function to use formulas in the colors AND you allow RGB colors as an option in there, you will be able to do smooth color transitions using a single layer for picture or objects.

Great example would be a simple green to red for a battery meter with a smooth transition by using this formula: (256256floor(255*(100-#BLN#)/100)+256floor(255(#BLN#)/100))

This once again would not only increase the capabilities, but would also allow you to make many of the watch faces quite a bit smaller and use less processor keeping everything running smoothly.