Altitude reporting wrong

The altitude settings have gone crazy on all my created watches, and others watchfaces that download. I use TicWatch Pro 3 GPS. Altitude was correct for many months, but lately it’s been showing about 6,000 feet too high. (8621 vs 2700 ft) The altitude is correct on the altitude app on my watch.

I’ve removed and reinstalled Facer, deleted and recreated the altitude element on my faces. Restarted my watch, switched to a non-Facer face and back again, reset watch.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m not sure on a TicWatch, but the Samsung watches has a place where you can calibrate the altitude reading that the watch shows. I would bet that the altitude on your watch’s app is calculated by your location and the altitude on a Facer face is from the baro sensor inside your watch.

3 Likes

That’s a distinct possibility, but it doesn’t account for it working properly for over a year. I just tested with an app that uses the watch barometer, and I can see changes in altitude, so I think the barometer is ok on the watch. Thanks for the hint about the potential difference. I’m sure if this was a Facer issue I would not be the only one with the problem.

1 Like

In my experience (also with Samsung watch) sometimes it shows wrong altitude when I’m indoors.
When I go outside it starts to show the right altitude and then when I go back inside it still shows the right altitude.

Why - I don’t know.

3 Likes

I’m thinking it might be android 11 and how it restricts location access. I’ll test on an older version tomorrow.

Hmm that’s interesting. I have a Samsung S10e and it’s on Android 12. But I never had any issues when it was on Android 11.

1 Like

I was wrong about android 11 being a possible cause. I tested with a watchmaker face that I made and the altitude reports correctly. @Facer_Official can you look into this?

1 Like

A mí no me carga datos de pasos en la esfera

I discovered by playing around with math that if I divide the altitude that Facer is providing by 3.14 (π) I get the correct altitude as verified by a standalone GPS.

1 Like

I have noticed that same, it is by a off by aound a factor a 3.14-3.28. It is as though even though someone did a feet X 3.28 vs. a meters / 3.28 feet in the conversion. For example mine display 29k feet, when I am at 9200 feet.

But if I check standalone altitude applications, the phone displays the correct altitude, so the issue is unique to Facer.

1 Like

I’m sorry that you are also experiencing this, but I am glad to know that I am not the only one!

The best thing to do is raise a bug report at http://help.facercreator.io

1 Like

I’ve already done that and never got a single response from Facer.

Did you get a ticket number with the automatic reply? If so, could you let me have it and I’ll raise another bug report quoting your ticket number. If you did not get a ticket number then something went wrong with the help submission.

1 Like

Sure, here you go: [Request received] Fix the altitude reporting. - Ticket #93603

1 Like

Bug report ticket raised. I will let you know if I hear anything.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

1 Like