AOD design trend

Examples of faces with buttons to keep the original face all day long:

Examples of faces that change to Lume mode after sunset:

1 Like

Ok I am aware of faces that go to LUME mode at Sunset . I have made them myself . You were talking about a Button to make the Display Face the AOD Face . In the case of TOM there is no button . It just happens when the Display sleeps . Well done posting the pictures of the watches you like . The links would have been much more useful . It looks to me that you have found loads of Faces you like . Good Job .

Here are the some of the faces that don’t even change, they are just the same all day long (just the second hand disappears):

Tom does have a button, it’s the red dot just below the date:

3 Likes

I actually have 283 faces not counting, the ones I have already deleted. It’s tough because when I 1st started, what used to be great faces are now unremarkable, as you find newer one’s. It’s just Facer doesn’t have a good system of navigating, even within your favorites list.

Is there a good tutorial on how to create faces?

2 Likes

Yes navigating is not very convenient. You could create categories and save watch face there instead of having them all ending up in your favourites.

There are a number of tutorials available here in the community. But I’ve learned the most from studying the pros that have opened up their watch faces for inspection. Top right in Creator the “COMMUNITY” link will take you to a good selection of inspectable watch faces.

Thanks for mentioning my work, I especially like this watch face with 4 different DIM modes:

4 Likes

Toms Speedline you Flagged does not have the Red Button That is why I was confused . He has a Premium version of there same Face that has the Red Button .
I published this a day ago you might be interested . There is no difference in the Display and AOD face.

2 Likes

Hello Tom, I did download that watch face. I also especially like your Speedlines; particularly the TX-CR187 premium.
Thanks for the tip on where to learn.
Other than the Facer app, what other software do I need? I have Photoshop and Procreate; AutoCad was mentioned somewhere, do I need that as well? I just really want to design a watch for myself, not really for others to download.

2 Likes

Nice design Russel. I do have a few digital faces, however, most of the ones I download are analog.

1 Like

I use CorelDraw to draw hands, dials, bezels, bits and pieces, and to make some 3D effects of these parts. But you can find lots of hands, shadows, numbers and other things in the resources area to get you going.

2 Likes

Although I am for making AODs as minimal and dimmed as possible, in my experience on Facer, users demand the “live” face for AODs as well. Nevertheless, I still make them dimmed :grin:

2 Likes

It would be nice if you gave them an option to not dim. I’ve appealed to the designers whose designs I love, but can’t use, since they’re dimmed all day. I’m new to this so I’ve been finding designs that are probably 2 yrs old, and the designers don’t even respond, maybe they don’t see the comments anymore?

Anyway, it’s like buying a beautiful car that you want to enjoy all day long, but after 1 minute of driving, you can only see a faint glimmer of the beautiful car the rest of the day, what’s the point of getting that car?

1 Like

You will find that most of the ones I have made in the last year or so are pretty much the same in Active and AOD modes. You can find mine here: Mr. Antisocial Guy

1 Like

Nice, I downloaded MAG 1775, MAG 1486, and MAG 2102. I liked MAG 698, but the blue background went away in AOD, w/c is what I mean; the elegance of the original face goes away w/ the AODs.

1 Like

I mostly started AOD the same as active around MAG 1800. Anything that has a number less than a thousand is several years old now. My first watchface was around June or July of 2019.

1 Like

Hopefully, the other designers catch on. When I first started downloading faces, there were some, that I absolutely fell in love with, but had to ultimately delete because, they looked terrible throughout the day. They were in night mode all day long, or super dimmed. Thanks for your creativity!

1 Like

Tom, I have a big favor to ask, can you make the AOD version of your “TX-M37 Aero Chrono” the same as the original face? I love this watch face!

2 Likes

Hi there,
I understand and respect your opinion. However, dimming the watch face on AOD mode has a lot of advantages as well. It saves the battery, protects eyes in darker environments, prolongs your smartwatch’s screen life and you don’t get to walk like a flashlight all day. And by the way, your watch wakes up and goes to the active mode whenever you put your hand up to look at it. So when you look at it, you see the live screen anyway.

2 Likes

I completely understand the benefits as you enumerated of a dimmed AOD; however, there are consumers like myself that use this digital watch like a traditional watch; just to tell time. I don’t use any of the other features. I actually turn off WiFi and Bluetooth (I turn them on only to change faces), so my battery lasts all day. I have 40% plus when I plug it in at night.

If you’ll view the previous posts above, the examples of some of the faces I use, are beautiful designs, and certainly not like a flashlight. It’s the Lume AOD that looks like a flashlight; it’s like your watch is in a dark room even in direct sunlight.

I can change watch faces every day. Just slip in a brown, blue, or black perforated leather band, and voila! vintage racing look.

So having the option like some designers have built in, of a DAY, AUTOMATIC, or DIMMED feature is a boon for those of us who like realistic looking faces. I hope you can accommodate consumers such as myself. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ok. can do.
done:

4 Likes