Apple watch series + iOS versions equality regarding Facer app

I would like to ask, hypothetically, if I buy me a minimal combination of iPhone+Apple watch (I guess it was iOS 7 and watch series 3), whether I will be able to run Facer app + Facer faces all without any further limitations, or if there would be some features reserved to higher series or iOS versions.

2 Likes

As far as I know Series 3 watch will only run the photo album type of Facer templates. Series 3 has been around for so long that it wouldn’t surprise me if they were discontinued.

2 Likes

Ok, lets rule the series 3 out. If I would get the series 4 + some older iPhone capable of iOS7, are there any other limitations? I noticed that one of the templates was limited to series7 I think. Anything else?

3 Likes

Yes, there are templates that work only on 7 and 8. In other words, at this time, if you have a 7/8 you can use all templates. However, if you have 4-5-6 those will not work with the 7/8 templates. Bottom line is to get most recent series so it works with everything. There is also an SE series. Somebody suggested that to me a year or so ago, but I don’t know if that works with the 7/8 templates. When 9 comes out who knows what will work??? Apple Watch Series 9: Everything we expect and hope to see in 2023 | Macworld

3 Likes

Lol, OK, but I am considering the minimal investment for most functions, not the maximal
There was a shop nearby giving 2y warranty for refurbished series4 for 245€, which is still much, but it made me curious what other surprises would be there to stumble on, if I eventually got one for somebody in family, who has older iPhone and could let me play time to time.

1 Like

Yes, you are correct about the Modular Duo template being restricted to series 7&8. I also toyed with the idea of getting a cheap iPhone and Apple watch to use as a test bed. My distaste for Apple made me decide that throwing away $1,000 U.S. to test on a platform I detest was a waste. I have pretty much given up on doing Facer Apple watchfaces. It’s not worth the investment and issues to sustain a hobby.

2 Likes

When I went shopping minimal was my goal, as well, but with technology, what is minimal now may be completely obsolete soon. It’s not only Apple. An example is what happened when Windows 11 came along requiring TPM 2.0. People with 5-yr-old computers were out of luck. Sorry…I digress…

3 Likes

That is why I omitted windows 2000 and went from 98 straight to win XP, omitted vista and went to 7, omitted 8 and went straight to 10 and will probably omit win11 and go for its successor if my PC will live that long. I do not need every time the top flagship, if some older tech lasts some years too.

1 Like

It’s all about security these days. Back in the 98-XP days all we had to deal with was malcious bothersome ads and fairly easy-to-fix infections. Now the malware is much more sophisticated. 11 is the most secure OS yet. Rather than a new OS every 2 years Microsoft has been issuing feature updates to 11. Quite a few versions of 10 have already reached EOL. If there is a newly named OS, it will be another upgrade to handle any security that 11 cannot address.
Back on topic…technology changes often - whether it’s Apple or Microsoft or hardware.

Just a quick note regarding the AW SE that was suggested to me: I just had a comment from a follower who cannot use one of my 7/8 designs on her SE. If I go shopping I’ll cross SE off my list.

1 Like

Some of the latest complications / Apple Watch templates require Watch OS9.x and Phone IOS16.x running on an Apple Watch Series 4 or later and an iPhone 8 or later or iPhone SE (2nd generation) or later.

And as @Linlay said, a few templates only work on the newer, higher end watches. If you just want the standard set of templates built into Creator ( Duo excluded ) then a Series 4,5 or 6 should run those. If you can though, I would suggest an Iphone that can run IOS16 ( and as new a model as you can get ), otherwise when you do decide one day to update your watch you may well end up having to update your IPhone as well.

2 Likes