Are any smart watches waterproof?

Are any smart watches waterproof?
I know mine isn’t but are there any that are - the reason I ask is that I’m publishing the watchface below and I don’t want anybody going swimming with it if it isn’t!

I’ve called the watch NO Swimming as a hint and as part of the description I’m going to put a warning just to be sure!

3 Likes

I can’t speak for other smart watches, but the GW5 Pro is waterproof. This is the specs right off the Samsung website: 5ATM+IP68/MIL-STD-810H

3 Likes

Same as Galaxy Watch 4 and 4 Classic, both 5ATM + IP68

2 Likes

Personally I just wouldn’t swim with a watch (smart or otherwise unless it’s a sea master or submariner😅). Maybe it’s waterproof as advertised but if there’s a problem, getting anything warrantied these days is a nightmare and if it’s something that needs to be fixed, be prepared to wait as long as it takes.

2 Likes

Most new smartwatches come with swimming among the advertised activity counters. And then contradictory they declare these devices resistances being only 5ATM or eventually IP68.
Among watchmakers that means those are only capable of being submerged for short time and were tested with static air pressure, but are not suitable for swimming and other dynamic activities in water.
When someone jumps in pool (not from a tower, just from the side) with the watch on wrist, the seals are stressed not only with static water pressure rising with depth, but also with the impact peak and temperature shock. Also there has to be some “reserve in tightness” for the repeated use and wear of the seal material.
In other words, as if the smartwatches makers invited users to break their devices to sell them new ones.

3 Likes

Back in the day my son had Sony phone that was advertised as waterproof.

On the swimming pool he wanted to show (brag) it to his friends… phone never worked again.
So: proceed with caution. :rofl:

1 Like

Okay - I happen to like the watchface (why else would make it) but I think i can say from the comments received that smartwatches are not really waterproof and I’ll stick with the title - ‘NO swimming’!

2 Likes

I take mine off to take a shower! In my thought, the weak link are the seals around the push buttons. Those have wear & tear on them that the other seals of the watch don’t have. As to your title of “no swimming” I have made watchfaces with depth markings on them. Instead of the 100F-300M that real watches use I put .100F-.300M. That silly little decimal at the beginning is there for a reason. :laughing:

3 Likes

I once made WF for friend with marking WR1500MM as a joke about specs for gear S3 (IP68 - should withstand submerged 30min, 1.5m deep).

2 Likes

Hi @petruuccios & @mrantisocialguy
I would like to reassure you about using the Galaxy Watch in water,
I have the Galaxy Watch and Galaxy Watch 3 since their release.
I have always used both for swimming both in the pool and in the sea and…never had any problems. They work like the first day.
I said swimming, not diving. I don’t dive into the pool, but sit on the edge and slide into the water.
In particular, I also take the GW into the Sauna and the Turkish Bath.
It’s been years and never a problem.
Naturally, the “Water Lock” is activated before swimming.
I also recently got the GW5Pro, but I haven’t tested it yet.
I don’t think anyway that it will give me any nasty surprises. :smiley: :wink:

2 Likes

Hi, I did not mean to spread panic and I am glad they worked so long and well for you (as for many others).
Anyway, for water activities I would still would rather pick device with water resistance marking 10ATM.

1 Like

Hi @petruuccios
I can agree, but 10 ATM are 100 mt underwater.
Do you really need such a depth? :grinning:
When you swim your arm is underwater more or les
1 mt 1 mt and a falf :wink:

2 Likes

Hey @diavo, maybe @petruuccios has very long arms!!! :laughing::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, like I said, it is rated for static test pressure from all directions, yet the stress on the watch is not that simple (if it was, even 3ATM rating would be good enough. I have long arms, but not that much :sweat_smile:).

2 Likes

Long arms or not I have decided not to publish because for some unknown reason it eats my battery :unamused:

1 Like

A White face will use a lot of power .

Also my watch is not what you would call the latest on the market! :smile:

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :blush:

1 Like

My Watch 4 Classic was used in a swimming pool for about two hours, both sitting idly around waterjets and actively swimming etc. Works fine.

1 Like

The Casio smartwatch is rated to 200m water resistant. The same as a dive watch.

1 Like