Are partners criteria changed?

I imagine that the recently added partners were successful in applying during the first “enrolment window for the Facer Creative Partner Program”. The criterial for that process was published in the news article that announced the opening of the window. In part the article said:

" To celebrate this huge milestone, as well as the launch of Facer Creator for Apple Watch, we are happy to announce the opening of our very first enrollment window for the Facer Creator Partner Program.

:thinking: How does it work?

From today until January 15th 2022, any designer — whether they’re already Facer designers or not — will be invited to submit their applications to the Facer Creator Partner Program.

Our editorial team will review each applications based on the following criteria:

• Unique and original ideas: the watch face space is a brand new playground for designers to re-invent how time and other complications can be displayed on a watch. We are looking for designers that understand this opportunity and can deliver new ideas that are both compelling and unique.
  • Good design principles: you understand what good typography is and are comfortable creating complex layouts that can communicate a lot of information in the small real estate of a smartwatch screen.
  • Brand identity: you are able to create a strong brand identity that is reflected consistently in your designs, and leveraged effectively in marketing efforts.
  • Respect for other designers’ work: No evidence of past copyright or trademark infringements, on Facer or elsewhere.

Bonus points:

• Already a watch face designer: you have already designed and published watch faces on Facer or elsewhere in a way that reflects the guidelines above.
  • Already a traditional watch designer: we understand at Facer that digital watch face designers can and should learn a lot from the traditional/physical watch designers that preceded them in the analog world. If you have designed traditional watch dials before, we want to help you transition to the digital watch face space!

At the end of the enrollment window, accepted applications will be notified by email and enrolled into the Facer Creator Partner Program. For those who didn’t make the cut this time, don’t fret, other enrollment windows will be open later that year."

Note that the window was open for any watch designer, not just designers currently on Facer. So, whilst it was stated that “bonus points” would be given to existing Facer designers, it was not mandatory that applicants had an existing Facer footprint and therefore it is not surprising that some ( not all ) of the new partners were new to Facer.

I imagine that there will be another window in the future so those interested in becoming partners should keep an eye on the Facer news page for the announcement.

4 Likes

With regard to the hidden comments … I believe that comments can be hidden automatically by the system ( without human intervention ) if multiple users flag a comment as inappropriate. So, given that it is the weekend in the US, it is quite likely that this was not an action by a moderator but rather a number of users here flagging the comments.

I did not see the comments so I have no opinion on them but I would like to make the general observation that over the recent past I have noticed that some comments are worded in a way that could be interpreted as personal or somewhat aggressive. I believe this forum would be a happier place if people always checked their posts before they sent them to make sure that they are polite, civil, non-personal and neutrally worded.

3 Likes

Thank you Mike, this cleared the misunderstanding.
I cant remember reading these criteria, but they were indeed different (less strict) than the standard ones cited by Alberto.

3 Likes

Yeah Thanks @mikeoday . It is great when a Partner Chips in to make things clearer.
I think part of the problem is that English is not always the persons first Language and we all go on the Philosophy of Facer not the small print .

2 Likes

So are you agree with me that a simple answer would have been more clear? If i titled " are partners criteria changed?" The simple answer is**“yes , we did and we will do enrollment where the standard criteria doesn’t count”** its so easy

1 Like

Yes, Russell. The original question was asked in the present tense.
Had the past tense been used the answer would have been different.

1 Like

@Linlay. Much respect. You are veru often there in These Topics. Unfirtunatly as a representative of the Facer Partners you get to be Piggy in the Middle. As it seems the Face policy is Quite Libral in alowing level of expression Face wise. I think it fair that people on here are alowed to express an opinion on the pages of the Community. Tanks for the direct reply. Nice to feel Heard.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know. I don’t work for Facer so I don’t have any special knowledge about that so I don’t know if other people will or will not also be added in the next weeks/months based on the previously published criteria. The news article did indicate that future open application windows will be coming so I guess that will be at least one of the ways that people can become partners in the future.

In any case, if a current Facer user is interested in becoming a partner then I imagine that the best approach would be to try / continue to make great unique designs, collections and banners, be active, helpful and positive members of the community and apply in the next open window.

4 Likes

I think the published criteria page is often mis-interpreted as though there is a simple objective metric that if met means you get an invite. But a key aspect is “…AND are selected by the facer team.” It’s like any audition really, there is a base standard that has to be met, but in the end it is a human selection based on many moving circumstantial variables. Mike’s advise is best, if it’s a goal then keep active, keep improving, and focus on quality and originality. And by all means don’t undermine your cause in the forums :slight_smile:

Even partners don’t really know what all is factored into their choices, but one thing you can be sure of is quality and originality are noticed. A lot of times it’s partners who will notice someone’s work and bring it to the attention of Facer. That doesn’t guarantee anything, but that’s just to say, the exceptional designs/designers do get noticed. So keep at it, have fun, and see what happens.

3 Likes

Guys i love you all but i remark that I’m not talking for me, i don’t want to be a partner because i’m here to have fun not for work. What i want to show is that the parameter in the guidelines are excluded when there are the windows enrollment, that’s explain the fact that partners like I mention above was selected. What do you think when you see a partner profile like that with also a copy of a gwd demo face pubblished?

1 Like

I think it was clear the open enrollment window was simply an opportunity independent of the longstanding invitation criteria, so it’s not really surprising that the “rules” are different. But to be honest I was a little surprised by a couple of the selections too, I don’t know what went into their decision process. If there is someone with a direct rip-off of a GWD face I guess they must not have been aware of that. But I also don’t know the face or designer you’re referring to.

1 Like

scroll from start of this topic

1 Like

Perhaps the new partner created the design originally. I mention this because my work has been used as demos and by watch makers. On the other hand, if you feel that he is not the original artist and does not own the image, report it to Facer.

3 Likes

I’m really sorry that you don’t understand or don’t want understand the sense of what I’m saying.really sad.

1 Like

Not to pick on you. But I feel it is down to Facer to demonstrate to us that the Face in question belongs to Ram and it was selected to be one of the Examples in Samsung Galaxy Watch Studio. Perhaps RAM would like to chip in here. If it is the RAM I suspect he has Hundreds of ice Faces Already. I am absolutely certain a Talented Maker from any where will be welcomed. But someone who just copied something is very different.

1 Like

As much as I truly enjoy doing the mechanics of recreating vintage/antique watch faces, that is still how I feel and (having started last summer) that has always been part of my apprehensions towards publishing. :pleading_face:

2 Likes

What you are doing is very different . You are making representations of Classics . You are not claiming it is original and unique. You will no doubt See when you Publish . Looking forward to that Day.

3 Likes

Not sure if I’m reading your message right @russellcresser, but I don’t think Facer needs to demonstrate anything to us. If they get a copyright strike, I’m sure they’ll act. Otherwise, its their platform, so surely its their rules. They don’t need to justify their decision to US to admit someone to their Creative Partner program.

Facer’s disdain for the folks on this forum is really evident by their handling of the recent open call for Creative Partners (Partnergate?), general lack of support and visibility here. Or maybe they are just beyond disorganized. Either way, it shows their true colours, and anyone who missed the Creative Partner open call dodged a bullet in my opinion.

I had fun reaching for the stars last summer, but COVID is mostly over now, and I’m glad I came to my senses before wasting another summer indoors (and before realizing that a Creative Partnership doesn’t even give you free access to Creator Pro - LOL).

2 Likes

Yeah I agree @richiebee. I was just joinining in really. I do not want to fall out with you. The point is the creterian was set very low and some are just wondering if.

• Respect for other designers’ work: No evidence of past copyright or trademark infringements, on Facer or elsewhere.

Has been followed.
I think know the answer now.

2 Likes

Once more:
If an artist creates a watch face for a company to use for a demo, the artist can also use it in a portfolio (or profile in this case) as an example of his work. It is still his work.

2 Likes