Checklists -Beginner Lesson Learned

Elementary my dear Watson I can hear you say!
One of the last checkboxes before publishing asks have you checked the dim mode and also quite often i see here the excellent advice to duplicate before publicate (publishing) but I would like to add - test before duplicate.
I recently published two watchfaces with what I consider to be elementary mistakes (updated now). I had copied tags wrongly and even though they looked OK in creator when on watch were evident and embarrassing. (Ok since you ask- i lost the leading zero on the digital time)
I have a checklist of things to check before publishing:

1. Title correct.
  2. Layers named properly.
  3. Width of tags on watchface ok and justification correct.
  4. Fingers centred and in correct order.
  5. No dim tags on active face and vice versa.
  • and now I’m adding:
  1. Leading zero where required.
  2. Watch tested on wrist.
  3. Watch duplicated.

Anybody care to add anything else?

4 Likes

Inspection Open ?

3 Likes

That’s a pretty good list for a basic face.

2 Likes

Few more things I tend to do as well:
9. spelling check in description field
10. open browser besides Creator (or vice versa) and check if last save displays the face properly (sometimes pictures are missing)
11. forward the time before publishing

2 Likes

Tom . Please tell me why Forward the time . It gets set to 10:10 in previews . Is that a trick to show the first Image of a Sequence .

I have it again and again that when publishing, some pictures do not end up on the watch face on the profile page. In Creator and on the watch all is good. Somebody suggested to forward the time before publishing. Seems to work most always nowadays.
But maybe because I use a Mac…

2 Likes

When you talk of pictures do you mean Hands and Dials . It strikes me that you should do a reboot before publishing something . Do you make your Pictures at High Resolution ?

Only pictures that I use in the watch face. I do resize them before uploading. Usually less than 1024x1024 pixels

1 Like

Agreed. I have this issue all the time. My last step before publishing is slide the time all the way left, click Dim, then go back to main face, then publish. When I forget, I have to republish with these steps.

2 Likes

Time Forward or Back. So much Voodoo to get Facer to work properly.

I’ve actually stopped doing that and started to document each face in detail with spreadsheets. It’s a lot more work (yet just once per face), but it doesn’t clutter my Creator listing, plus I have access to a face’s formulas and the exact details (location, size, etc) of each element instantly in its corresponding spreadsheet. Basically, I document them like this:

Interesting… so I’ve been having a major MAJOR problem that I wonder if it’s related. If you know any of my faces, you know that I purposely dim the hands for a short period coming out of AOD, so you can see complications under them. Facer made some unknown change to the platform, and ever since then, almost every single time I save a face in Creator, the hands always show in their “right out of AOD” dimmed state. Once in a while (but not often enough), if I advance the time in Creator and then save, the hands show normal. Otherwise, the affected faces show dimmed hands: in Creator’s listings, in my profile, and in the app-- which fully and highly and thoroughly sucks.

I opened a support ticket mid-October, and after a lot of back and forth and providing much detailed info (including the exact date when the issue started), end of January I finally got a reply saying they have been able to reproduce the issue. Now I have to wait to see when/if they fix it.

Meanwhile, this is what it looks like, notice 4 out of the 6 faces are exhibiting this issue:

3 Likes

I know we are getting a bit Off Topic. But I understand the Issue now. When I post a Face that has a Wake Timer Effect I put in a Dummy Image, in the top layer, which shows in the Preview only. So you can then have anthing you want in the Preview Still. I use this code in the Opacity Field.

$#DWE#>0?0:100$

1 Like

This tip actually made my day! Thanks again for that one.

1 Like

Ok - it looks like there are no more additions for my checklist, so, here is the final checklist -

1. Title correct
  2. Layers named properly and in correct order.
  6. Digital time shows correctly for 12/24 hours (leading 0 etc)
  7. Watch tested on wrist
  8. Duplicate
  9. Open browser - check last save displays face properly
  10. When publishing spell check description
    10a. Inspection on or off
    10b. Forward time
  11. Publish

Hopefully other beginners like myself can make use of the checklist and avoid some of the same mistakes I made.

1 Like

10c. Verify title and description have no words from the banned words list:

(at the risk of sounding like George Carlin)

2 Likes

Ok here’s the final final checklist:

DESIGN:

1. Title correct
  2. Layers named properly and in correct order.
  6. Digital time shows correctly for 12/24 hours (leading 0 etc)
  7. Watch tested on wrist
  8. Duplicate
  9. Open browser - check last save displays face properly

PUBLISH:

1. Spell check description
  2. Check title and description doesn’t contain banned words (Banned words likley to get your Face Taken Down by the Bot)
  3. Inspection on or off
  4. Forward time
3 Likes