Cockpit Heading Compass

Does any one know what the Red Banana Flag on the Compass indicates . Is it a warning that the beacon signal is lost for a Radio Compass ? I know we have a few Pilots that Correspond here but for the life of me I will not remember who . I would not invoke someone over this kind of enquiry anyway . I think that would be Rude . #.#
171403-10370070

You got me curious so I had to find out!

According to this other model, it’s a power failure warning flag: Unlit Electric Directional Gyro 28 volt, from RC Allen, rca-15bk2

And that model itself, a Mid-Continent 3300-DG, they’re calling it rotor speed and power input monitor flag: Mid Continent 3300 Series Directional Gyro

2 Likes

It is a warning flag. It monitors rotor speed and power input, if it is insufficient it pops up.
And at night the instrument would even turn off the compass card.

Now that’s an idea for low battery level!

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 22.05.32

2 Likes

Wow . Thank you both . @kourosh and @tom.vannes . I did google it a bit . But did not spend enough Time on it . Thank you so very much indeed . So my guess was not to bad . If the Gyro is not spinning at the right speed then it would not be accurate enough for Navigation . Yes Tom a fantastically appropriate Battery Warning Gauge . next question marking 25% 0r 16% . I suppose it could start swinging out at 25 say .

2 Likes

Yup that is what a decent instrument costs . Show this when they start moaning about the weather data .

2 Likes

$95 NZ Dollars for the Plug . He He . I was thinking of bowing out from facer to concentrate on WFS . Now I have the Idea to represent a load of instruments with a centre tap . Var count would step through the different instruments . I am actually quite pleased with my Attitude Indicator . I wonder if it might be a group project to make the different instruments . I love the name DG . It is not a Compass . I bet you called it that in the factory you would be out on your Ass . I rushed this a bit because it was going to be small . I could re-render the parts . Despite the Gyro on Facer being a bit clunky it is still good fun . I am sure you guys know how to side load if you want to . I am pro for the time being I will happily curate the work and publish it . Might even run it out with BUY me a Coffee. Flag .

1 Like
1 Like

Here some instrument rims if you want…

5 Likes

Oh Tom thank you so very much indeed . I have crammed stuff in but the round one will be perfect . They are all lit perfectly for me . Did you draw them ? Jolly Nice Sir . Thanks again . Now and again when I see something really nice my mouth waters like Pavllovs Dogs .

1 Like

Yes, made them myself in CorelDraw.

Next ones I want to make are old school:

2 Likes

Yum Yum . Where will you start . Somewhere I have a banking Indicator . It came out of an A320 Cockpit that we were preparing for exhibition . The Scrappers had all the other instruments as we were making it to look like Glass Screen . Each time I look at it the bubble in it is bigger . God know how alcohol pass through glass but it Obviously does . A Pilot told me it was a Keep them in thier seats Indicator . If you got the Ball too near the ends the " Load would Shift " .
Ha Ha . Cannon Rounds Indicator .

1 Like

Parts:
fuel_guage_accuracy

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 00.47.00

Last 2 digits are fix.
Font used: Futura Medium Bold

3rd digit:

Hand:
Arrow_Mini2

Window:
window rnd

5 Likes

Really, really nice stuff you draw there!

1 Like

I played with that double gauge idea for long and prepared the case image in powerpoint.
But in the end it maybe looked too subtle, @tom.vannes you made it better, thick enough.

3 Likes

Hey Tom . I love that dual fuel gauge . Nice one . Watch and Mobile power right .

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I have used it for:

3 Likes

I must say on the Altimeter I am not sue about the pivot point being on the middle of a Digit . Just looks wrong to me .

Yes, it is not so nice, but that’s how some have been built. The second one is nicer, but need to understand each hand…

5489-300x296
2fvUr

1 Like

I like the Two hander . I went for 10 100 1000 digital . I live near the sea .

2 Likes

I’m only here for the Resources, so thank you very much :grin: :+1:

2 Likes