Content pulled for copyright infringement

I’m curious… do we know of anyone who has had a face removed because it GRAPHICALLY represents a trademark - I’m thinking the familiar hour hand of Rolex as probably the most recognizable piece, but also whole faces that follow a unique, and likely copyrighted design like Ulysse Nardin faces. I made deliberate changes to my recent release to make it less like the watch it was based on, but there are still elements on that face, that could be considered copied in shape, and more loosely, in material appearance. Just wondering whether the bots go that far, or indeed, if Facer themselves manually go that far. I’ve seen some nonsense on here, like using pictures of existing watches, but that’s a whole different ball game. I’m talking about faces that are created from scratch, but based on an existing design.

1 Like

Most likely, if a company like Rolex or Ulysse Nardin went searching manually through all the watch faces and happened upon one that triggered them, then yes, graphically it could get flagged. But I doubt if an automated bot filter would ever flag it.

1 Like

well…
you can’t reinvent the wheel.
in this case one could speak of template as inspiration.
As long as the brand name and special design elements are not used.

It’s different with logos and images…
These violations should be noted.

1 Like

I have a set of Rolex style hands that I altered to avoid their copyright. Instead of their distinctive Y shape mine are peace signs. :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

A statement by a German lawyer: “If you take a picture and redraw it or change it so much that the original is no longer recognizable, you are the author of the new picture.
You just mustn’t copy the original artist’s signature and must state that you took the picture.”

For everything else, “where there is no plaintiff, there is no judge”

3 Likes

Illegal or legal, when a big watch brand does a request for removal, a small company like Facer does it. It’s not worth the hassle or risk.

3 Likes

Did you know that its a Mercedes? Not as in the car company (though the symbolism is the same).

1 Like

There is a Beautiful Micky Mouse Face about . I see it everywhere in Peoples favourites . It must have had Thousands of syncs . But that it is not taken down . I think as @SR-Design.vision says the shape and colour is much more difficult to take to court . Something like Zenith is easy for a Bot to Spot in any context so Zipp its gone . Facer do restore the Face after a Bit . But the Duplication is already Published so, that one can get deleted .

1 Like

Mercedes is the same as Rolex except that the spokes get thinner toward the inner edge of the circle. Rolex stays the same thickness from center point to inner edge of the circle. But all in all, at a glance, you can’t tell a deference. I’ve heard that even T-Mobile has the color Magenta trademarked and have sued others for using a color too close to their color.

1 Like

Anush Kapoor took a Copyright on BLACK . But the special Black VANTABLACK .

that’s right.
There is also a matching grey.

1 Like

My point was that the three pointed star is called a Mercedes. It’s also called the Rising Star.

3 Likes

That is true and not just this! There are published watch faces with a stolen image in the background. The image even shows the original icons with the google play store. These watch faces are routinely approved and even in the top 50. I once tried to report a violation but the facer team did not address it, they only referred me again to the same violation report form. I know of several authors who have 100 or more watch faces with a stolen image in the background. I’ve already gathered a lot of evidence!

Attached images are used as background, yes it is true!

3 Likes

That’s not nice.
That makes it harder for the right designers to work.

1 Like

Yes it’s unfortunately true. I dont understand why facer pulled your custom content if can be here complete stolen watch faces

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons I gave up the race to the top of the charts. It makes a mockery of the whole idea of a chart. But we’ve covered that in another thread. :smirk:

3 Likes

The race for 1st place is pointless anyway.
The users do not rate the quality of the work.
Simple is more popular anyway.
So works like mine “(work in progress)” are of interest to very few.

I currently have 3 faces with the same design in different colors in the top 100.
Every good graphic artist builds something like this in a short time.

Actually it’s sad.
But I experience that every day at my job.

3 Likes

What post do you mean? I’d like to see it

Sadly the whole thing is a bit of a Lottery. Ther is a a lot of Luck involved in getting into the Top 100/50. Better if your Face is in the Top 50 since that is all that is shown in the App. I have over 100 Faces out there and have Charted about 3 times I think. I I’m very Intrested in the ones that slowly climb up my own most synced chart. They are obviously found by Senendipidy or from a Search. It seems like a Promo on FB has some Influence these Days.

1 Like

Advertising on social media is helpful, but the impact isn’t that great.

1 Like