Copy right infringement

I’ve had 2 faces deactivated in the past month. Both have been on Facer for a long time. One was Dumbo, the other was Smurfs. I can’t argue that I have the rights to those images. Even if I had designed them from scratch, the content would not belong to me.
But why now? and Why these faces? There have to be hundreds of Mickey Mouse watches and other Disney images on Facer. People want those. Are they all going to be removed?
I have no personal stake in those faces. They’re not my favorites. I don’t earn anything from them, since they’re free. But I would lose access to all the faces I’ve designed that I do love if they deleted my account for multiple copyright infringements.
So, do I go through all the faces I’ve made using popular characters and remove them? Or just accept the occasional deactivation and hope nothing more comes of it.

1 Like

It depends on when the takedown notices for infringements are filed. Some copyright owners may react right away. Large companies rely on their legal teams to do the work when they get around to it.
As you mentioned there are hundreds of Disney images all over the internet, so it would take forever for Disney’s attorneys to address all of them.
My view on this is to be proactive and not use anything that might be copyrighted, trademarked, or considered a “main image” from a so-called “free” image site that specifies such in their guidelines for paid or free images. If in doubt do a reverse image search or contact the source.
See:
https://www.disneystudiolicensing.com/
https://support.freepik.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024236234-Can-I-use-Freepik-images-as-main-element-
https://support.freepik.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024235874-What-is-the-difference-between-main-and-secondary-element-

1 Like

@wsilbers . We could blame Marvin ( the Bot ) but it probably was not him . I have read that if they get taken down after a while it is from a Manual search . Did you mention the offending Items by name in the title or description . I know there is a Smurfs brand on Facer I presume they have exclusive permission .
You are right Facer is awash with images and names on watches that must be Copyright or Registered .
I am trying to collect and curate a list of words that are likely to cause an Infringement . If I may add your to my list to be Posted in a dedicated topic. There is some question as to whether name of the correspondents should be included on the list .

So sorry about your Take Down I hope you Had a Copy at Home.

Not just hundreds of Disney images on the internet, but right here on Facer! And I guarantee that without those, Facer would take a big hit in popularity.

1 Like

I do have the image, but not the complete face, hands and all, but It was created for others to enjoy. It wasn’t one of my favorites. I’ve published over 2000 faces and have plenty that I really like to continue to enjoy.

1 Like

Hard to know why Dumbo was taken down when as you say there are hundreds of Disney faces on Facer. But Smurfs is easier to understand because earlier in the year Facer released a collection of officially licensed Smurfs faces. So I think that would explain why Smurfs faces that maybe flew under the radar before are now being taken down.

1 Like