Deep diving with DeepGuard

This is what I needed the formulas for, to set and reset the bezels. If you hit 12 o’clock the minutes bezel aligns with the minute hand. Hit 12 again and it resets. 6 o’clock does the same for the hour bezel, but I don’t use it myself since it gets a bit confusing.

Middle changes the background and 9 o’clock opens the theme color selection. I find orange and teal works really well with the five backgrounds - well four of them since the fifth is just plain black.

Funny how I never knew how a bezel works. Now I use it all the time to time things. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Very nice watch face! Clean, neat, got to wear it…

2 Likes

Good idea and great graphics all around, I like it, maybe will insert such feature into my divers template :slight_smile:
But what confuses me is the little dot below word minutes. For some reason the bezel aligns to the hand at this little dot instead of the big one at 60

1 Like

That looks really nice, good job, and a Free version without the Bezel Complications would be a good idea too :thinking:

2 Likes

The little dot under minutes aligns with the minute hand when you tap 12 o’clock. This is how you start timing. You get the elapsed minutes by looking at the position of the minute hand and the minutes bezel scale.

I did it like this since I was told this is how divers use the bezel.

1 Like

But I think divers align the bezel top zero to the hand. They do not have two dots to pick from. This way the hand could show 10 after only 5 minutes.

1 Like

I didn’t believe you so I tested it with a stopwatch - and you are right!

I adjusted the formulas for the hour and minute bezels.

Thank you for spotting it :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

I think the hour bezel did not have the shift but seems to have one now.:slight_smile:

And when I think of it more, I would have one more thing to consider, but there is nothing wrong, just more about my opinion.
I think the 15 minute marks on one quadrant of the bezel are usually on the first quadrant, for there the “precision” is more “valued”, than 3/4h later. Or if it was a countdown bezel, then it would be good this way, but the numbers order and aligning method would be different.

2 Likes

I think you have the markers/ticks on the wrong side. See this example, click the 10 area to start and reset

1 Like

I think everyone gets confused by the “minutes” and “hours” texts on bezels. I’ll replace them with 5 and 1.

I was told the last 15 minutes are critical when diving, sometimes those are marked in red. The first 15 minutes are usually ok. But I’m not a diver myself.

1 Like

Does it make more sense now?

2 Likes

I am a diver, and nowadays I only use the analog watch as a backup. I mainly use a dive computer to tell me all I need. So I set the bezel on my analog watch to the minute I start the dive. I only need to know my elapsed time. I do not really have a use for the 15 minute ticks. Your ticks would actually come in handy if I dive for exactly 1 hour, then I can use the last 15 minutes to stay in shallow waters to build down the Nitrogen in my body. (The deeper you go the more Nitrogen your body builds up, if you would go up too fast from the deep the nitrogen stays in the body and expands - which is not a good thing…)

I am not an extreme diver, I try to avoid decompression stops (having to stop at certain depth to get rid of the nitrogen). I plan my dives accordingly: go to the desired depth first and during the course of the dive slowly move up, and the last 10-15 minutes stay in around 3-5m/10ft depth. I could set the bezel then to the minute hand for the last 15 minutes, but then I would need the ticks in forward direction.

3 Likes

I think its better now, and this is smartwatch world where only few devices could withstand real dive.
So lets call it “diver style” of watch face design/action :slight_smile:

But check the hours bezel, it seems to me that it turns to 11 instead of 12.
(can it have something with the summer/winter time shift maybe?)

2 Likes

That is really weird, since the hour bezel rotation is based on when the tap area was triggered:

(#VAR_3# * ((#VAR_3_T#/(1000* 60* 60)%12) * 30+90))

If the VAR_3 toggle is 0 that gives the rotation 0, if it is 1 you get that rotation in the calculation.

3 Likes

I am Fascinated by your Formula . I am assuming it works with a Var_X Toggle . I am thinking your 12% should be 11% . But in my test I am not sure What is supposed to happen so I apologise . Sometimes worth this sort of thing it is best to Post an inspectable link to the Draft or to a WIP TEST .

1 Like

I think it is because the timestamp relates to UTC and the expression should incorporate compensation for local time to make the bezel align to local time hand. Something like
(#VAR_X#*((#VAR_X_T#/1000/60/60)%12-#DOFST#/60)*30)
and for minutes maybe for the timezones shifted by some fraction of hour like
(#VAR_x#*((#VAR_x_T#/1000/60)%60-#DOFST#)*6)

2 Likes

Yes, my smartwatch is not suitable as a dive watch - wish it was…

This is my dive watch from the '79 (bit scruffy now…), and does not have the ticks…:
MY_Seiko79

And yes, @petruuccios, correct, the value is in UTC, so using is DOFST was also my conclusion.

3 Likes

I was already testing it out, but I did not understand the modulo function in it. My formula is:

(#VAR_3#*((#VAR_3_T#/1000/60/60*360/12)-(#DOFST#/60)*30))

But I guess it does the same thing.

Here the test face, added Peter’s formula (white Bezel numbers).
Tap anywhere on the watch face to toggle:

2 Likes

Yes but! You are talking about the setting of the bezel right? When the hour bezel aligns with the hour hand? The modulo function should make it so you don’t have worry about time zones.

The resetting can’t get any other rotational values other than 0 since #VAR_3# is set by a toggle. When it is 0 the calculation will be 0x whatever the formula gives = 0.

Btw, I do like the Seiko dive watches but if I could afford to go scuba diving I’d sure would go for one of those cheap Panerai watches :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Give it a try now, I plugged in Tom’s formula. For me it always worked, and it still does with the new formula.

2 Likes