Design failed - oh dear!

I have spent hours playing with this one - both active and dim faces, getti g the spacing just right, font sizes and colours etc etc. Lost my work more than once - literally hours spent and it’s not close to being finished. But I thought I would put it up here as a reminder to all the newbies to think things through before starting.

Ok so here is my design fail - everything looks great in Creator but on my wrist fonts are too small to read, the colours awful, icon colours and sizes wrong. The only thing that works is the room and the window showing today’s weather and that was my original idea. This watchface is definitely a work in progress. :smiley: I’ll post it here when I’ve re designed it

3 Likes

Yup, bin there, done that!
Looking forward to this one…

2 Likes

When I was wearing a Tizen Galaxy active . Everything was nice and Big . I am getting fooled by the higher resolution of GW4. Nice Idea . Difficult to make it work for us Oldies .

2 Likes

Ahh classic, definitely been there! Keen to see the final product :blush:

3 Likes

As promised here is the redesigned version.
The main difference is the AOD/Dim face which has a 3(2) day forecast. As you can see it uses different icons than those normally seen on many smart watches. I split the forecasts into 2 main parts - cloud cover using Okta symbols / abreviations and elements like rain shower snow etc. This way I can have ‘Overcast’ and eg. rain together. Inspection is open if you want to see how i did it (I make an assumption that when it rains or snows etc then the sky is overcast). As far as the active face is concerned I had to remove most of the information I had and place it in an information panel on the left to accomodate the larger font sizes I needed to be able to see without using a magnifying glass! I have also included UV information but I must admit I am a bit concerned about putting such information there as if someone depends on it and then gets cancer there could be some comeback. I will put some priviso text in the description as a warning.
If someone would like to check the forecasts in their region please let me know, as where I am at this time of year all I get is overcast and rain or overcast and snow!

3 Likes

Good Work . I notice the Octas code is based on 3 letters besides the Cloud symbols then they throw in a 5 . Sorry my Face only has today and tomorrow Weather . Looks like you have a slot not filled .

1 Like

@russellcresser How did you do that? To me it looks not published nor inspectable.

2 Likes

Sorry I have been Playing with some ARDUINO stuff . I will PM you on a Previous . Sorry I missed you earlier .

1 Like

The empty slot you mention is not empty - there’s just nothing in it! Its just a poor bit of design on my part as Openweather must not have reported rain, shower, storm or mist hence the 'empty ’ slot. I will put something in it when that occurs, - a smiley perhaps. What is interesting is the last forecast in your first AOD picture as it shows BKN cloud cover and rain -the elements should be only be paired with OVC so it means i need to take a look at that.
If you ran the time slider in Creator did you notice that on the active face it shows dusk, night and moon phases through the window?

1 Like

Sorry I did not spend very much time looking at it . I have so many other things giong on . As they say The man who chases two rabbits catches none . I will go back and have a look .
Amazing Work . Well done . Above all a sense of Humour .