Digits in quarter cirkels

I’m having loads of fun making these digits.

I can’t imagine that I’m the first to have this idea.
Any others in the system? Being somewhat “design challenged” I’d like to see what it could look like.

2 Likes

This is maybe little too abstract for me. What are we actually looking at?

1 Like

Yeah, might have to twist the mind a bit to read it. it says

1 Like

I think I have seen something remotely similar with use some crazy font or images for digits, just cant remember where (it looked somewhat like this Electro insanity Font · 1001 Fonts)

1 Like

Love the Font Rasmus. @rasmusbak.jepsen. For me I would go for a crease rather than a hole in the Numerals that have Holes / Islands. If you are going abstract stay there. Just make the creases a bit bolder. Got a nice Active Brain look.

1 Like

I could see that working, with the added advantage of being readable.
I like it myself, and since I never get more than 5-10 syncs, I’m basically making watch faces for myself.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s still very much a work in progress, but I have been having a hard time with the holes. I do want to make creases, just haven’t figured out just how.

1 Like

I wanted to Design a Font like that. I saw it like modeling Ballons. Yours aer squeezed into a tight space. It would be jolly good if they had highlights. I could try make you a sample but I am not that good at stuff that is not a Technical subject. Of course you need 4 * 10 characters. A lot of work. 5 Syncs is good. As you number of Followers grows. You Fans will appreciate your work.

Good idea with the highlights, I am going for a bubbly look. I’d need to make them as a layer on top, if for no other reason, to make it somewhat technically challenging.
I don’t really see myself as a crowd pleaser here. My faces of late are more me geeking out with various ideas and trying to solve problems. I can see they can have some novelty interest, but the novelty soon wears out and I imagine that my very few followers go back to some of the great designs others have made.
Right now I’m trying to figure out how to have a magnifying glass over the date. My old watch, that was in fact analog, not smart, had that. Having the effect of the date being magnified is of course easy enough. But magnifying the second and minute hand as they pass under, that is a bit more complex.
So as you can see, not very good at staying with anything till the very end.

1 Like

I am sure there are a few following what you are posting here. We ae all learning.

1 Like

Hey, that looks well cool, great job :smiley:

2 Likes

Actually no, you “only” need 3+10+6+10 characters :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah. Duuuuh. Unless of course you want to do the Date and Battery Power. :upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m planning to have the other info on layers that are only visible when I tilt the watch. I saw Akar had an example of that, but that was actually why I stumbled upon his work. I wanted to see how others had used the tilt of the watch.
I do a lot of cycling, and obsess a bit about wind speed and direction, so had that on some of my (unpublished) faces.
But it quickly got pretty messy. I noticed that when I was checking the wind, I’d hold my watch out in front of me, perpendicular to the ground, more or less. When I was checking the time, I’d just glance down at my watch, where it was more or less parallel to the ground. So I had the wind only show when the watch was tilted at about 70°.
But I started noticing how I held my watch when checking what. 90+% of the time I look at my watch it is (unsurprisingly) to see what time it is. When I want to see date, battery, temperature etc, I tilt it somewhere between 30-45°, holding it closer to my face. And when cycling, I hold it directly in front of me.
So that has become a bit of a standard for the watches I make for purely personal use. I also like the uncluttered look of the watch only showing the time unless you tilt it.

1 Like

Intrestingly accelerometerRawyY() is the most reliable sensor reading on Facer. Having said that it is Gyros that measure angle from level. Accelerometer measures G force from a Rest position. Most people call it Gyro because it is a shorter word. I did a bit of that and found there are not a lot of fans of motion detection faces unless it is a Horizon Indicator or Active Highlights . All good Fun.

I wrote my final thesis on resonant frequencies in floor separations, and my dad worked many years for a Danish company specializing in measuring sound and vibration, Brüel & Kjær Instruments. So I know a bit about how they work.
The accelerometer we used in experiments was a charged piezo electric crystal, when the pressure on it changed, the electric signal through it changed. So it detected acceleration, though only in one direction.
A gyroscope as I understand it, is basically like a wheel that is suspended so its axis can turn freely. If you imagine a room that can be tilted along three axis and a wheel suspended on a stand on the floor, then when you tilt the room, the wheel will stay at the same angle if seen from outside the room.
So I’d think, as you say, it’d be the gyro that should be used to detect angle. Of course, g force is an acceleration in one direction, changing that direction would be detected.
But the functions we have are only in two directions, X and Y, Z is notoriously missing.
So I’m guessing that the output from two gyros and two accelerometers are given as these 4 parameters. Or there is some other clever sensor doing all of this.

BTW, heard of a prank you’ll probably find funny. Some geeks of our nature fitted a suitcase with a wheel inside, that was heavy in the rim, so it could spin freely in the plane of the suitcase.
They then got the wheel spinning at a high speed, closed the suitcase and brought it into a hotel and asked the bellhop to take it around the corner.
Can’t imagine how I’d react if I had that suitcase. I can move it up/down, forwards/backwards and side to side, but I can’t turn it.
Not sure if it’s a true story, but I imagine it is.

1 Like

Yeah I have seen movie of the Gyro Suitcase gag in the 50s. It was played on a porter at a railway station .
Gyros in a modern device are Pizo Electric Devices as well. As you say set a lt X Y . Can you imagine measuring the Preccession on someting that you would need to use a Strong microscope to see. I dont think we have Z on Gyro. Certainly on Accelerometer. That is how they detect it being a good job to spin down a Hard Drive , while it is falling towards the floor.

1 Like

I didn’t know that about the hard drive, interesting. Oddly, in that case the accelerometer wouldn’t detect a sudden acceleration, it’d measure a sudden absence of acceleration. Something that can be felt when sky diving, very bizarre feeling.

1 Like

Yeah. I lot of modern Laptops have Fall detectors in them to protect the Hard Drive. They Park the Heads while it is falling so the Disc surface does not get scratched when it hits the deck.

I think they still use precession to measure Acceleration. I will have yo have a look at that.

Need to do some sky diving yo see what you are talking about :::)))