Eternity: H.G Wells Time Machine

One for fellow Facer.io creatives prior to publication: 4 decimal-based concentric dials to render a 24-hour time reading… No doubt this has been done before, but for me, working this out required several bottles of dark rum, a tanker-full of diet-coke and subsequent liver transplant… anyway, here is it…

I’m sure the pro’s need no guidance on how this was done, but if any noobs (like me) want to know how, let me know, and I’ll make this available for ‘inspection’.

Stay well. MACH-1

8 Likes

Cool idea well implemented! I particularly like the the mixture of textures.

Cool stuff. I love the novelty of it all.

very cool Richard! If you created that engraved frame that’s really impressive! Any reason you only rotate the seconds wheel and not the others? I think the effect would be more complete if the individual wheels were turning instead of just the numbers layers above.

Thanks KV. I can’t take credit for the engraved illustration, I stumbled upon it in an image library when searching stock shots to art direct an ad campaign. To be honest, before I’d create something like that in illustrator, I’d probably look for the real thing, take a photo and then treat the shot with filters in photoshop to achieve the same effect… Yes, you’re right about the rings background rotating, but I thought it would only add value if you could see them turning which, in turn (pun intended), would then mean the time would frequently be obscured by the ‘time’ bracket. Cheers.

looking nice!

Ah, well I’m not a skilled freehand artist, so I’d have a real hard time making anything engraved like that. I get what you’re saying about the wheels but still… I think it would add dynamism in that the lighting and texture relationships would always be changing. It would be pretty easy to do with what you have to work with :slight_smile:

Agreed, but the trouble is the 36 degree symmetry. It’s a decimal system… so (as i realised, using #Dm#) what happens after 00:59… not 00:60 etc…, but 01:00, hence using opacity to switch out to a new layer.

I don’t quite follow, but I do believe you could code the wheels to jump as intended. If that’s what you’re getting at…