Fossil Gen 6, Wear OS 3 woes

So. I was offered a software update and it was the Wear OS 3 one. This was Wednesday Lunch time.

Since the, evry hour to a few hours it unpairs and tells me I need a factory reset. Data wiped, repeat tedious setup… There it goes again.

I’ve contacted Fossil support. Their latest advice: Perform a factory reset, here’s how.

I know how. I’ve done it 15 times over the last few days.

1 Like

I have that issue with my Fossil Carlyle HR test watch. It’s still on WearOS 2 but does that also. It was fine for the first year I had it, but one day it started doing it and won’t stop. I have also reset it and it still continues. I am wondering if it’s a phone problem instead of the watch. But I don’t want to reset my phone I’m using with it because of other apps in use on it. Catch 22 for sure.

2 Likes

Thing is. It will run all day without falling over if I leave it on one of the included faces and don’t run any other apps.

It will fail with an hour or so if:
I use any app
Measure my blood oxygen using the tile
Add an external face
Go to sleep (Not sure if that is rolling over and blocking bluetooth for extended or accessing sensor data for sleep tracking)

Just have to see what Fossil Support say. They responded within the day though the advice to perform a factory reset to prevent having to continuously factory reset was a little dissapointing.

2 Likes

On my Carlyle I’ve found that when I am not going to use it for testing, if I turn Bluetooth off in the phone, I can go days without having to re-pair the watch. If I just let it sit with Bluetooth turned on in the phone, within a couple hours or so it’s giving me the disconnected and re-pair pop-up. I can see where it would be even more frustrating for you wearing the watch and actually using it for what a watch is used for normally.

3 Likes

Hi Rob. Good to see you here again despite the Circumstance.
Just s bit left field but try having Wifi on and GPS as well as Bluetooth on the Watch and Mobile . I dont think you Battery will like it but it might be worth a shot. Good luck.
We had a terrible problem with our Router having brought it with us when we moved. Could not persuade it that it had moved.

2 Likes

Rob, I don’t know if you are part of the Facer Facebook group or not, but Tim Parsons just posted that he has the new WearOS 3 update on his Fossil Gen 6 and it’s working great. If you are a member of the group, you might reach out to him and compare notes on your settings.

@rob.fisk
He answered my post. (see below)

2 Likes

I started to have a suspect after a prolonged test of do, wait, do wait and saved it until the end for proof.

Watch will not function with privacy option Stay Connected Over WiFi disabled.
There must be bunches of code that tries to submit to that without checking the setting, then fails and, for some reason isn’t contained enough to stop the whole watch falling over and requiring a full reset wiping out all of the customisations made…

See my exhaustive testing file: Dropbox - FossilTest1.txt - Simplify your life

For full Support back and forth so far see: Dropbox - FossileWear3Issue01.docx - Simplify your life

I don’t understand why the links say ‘Simplify your life’ though

So are you saying it was something to do with WiFi and I was right to a certain extent :::)))

1 Like

Not entirely.

I think it is due to the fact that if you disable their extended spying option they forgot to put in the option to not try and connect to it so minor 3rd party issues try but fail to report to the system you have turned off, the error is not correctly captured and the whole watch fails (or it keeps trying until memory full or some other crappy overlooked bug)

1 Like

My Facer Ultra Minimal face now on watch with no reboot as I bleed all detail to ‘the man’
I have nothing to hide.Advocating privacy is an option. Turning it off should not cripple your device

1 Like

As a standard thing I do, I do not give any online entity my real-life information. Especially if it requires a date of birth. I do like the women and make my age younger than what it really is. The only thing I can’t control is my IP address which really could be anyone in my local area. I only sign up for services like Facer with a Gmail email address which I lied to them about my DOB and other things as well. That is also why I am the made-up person Rusty Williams with the account Mr. Antisocial Guy here on Facer and on YouTube.

2 Likes

I got an anniversary video from facebook about all my significant events. It had my 15 year old sign up date in it.

1 Like

Rob. Is that Good or Bad. Any way pretty Amazing.

1 Like

I think it is fantastic that is all they managed to harvest from me in 15 years

1 Like

It took a week but finally stopped foring a full reset and seems stable now.

Facer doesn’t seem any better or worse. Still occasionally drains the battery in 6 hours until a face change and back, even on the simplest of faces but maybe less often thn on WO2

1 Like