Fossil gives up on smartwatches for good

Fossil gives up on smartwatches for good
BY RAJESH PANDEY

SUMMARY

• Fossil confirms it is exiting the smartwatch business, focusing on traditional products like watches and jewelry.
  • Lack of product launches and competition from Samsung and Google likely contributed to Fossil’s decision.
  • Existing Fossil smartwatches will still receive updates for the next few years, but there is uncertainty about the release timeframe for the new Wear OS 4 update.
2 Likes

I gave up on Fossil long before that. Any smart watch maker that thinks it’s acceptable to have a huge, ugly black ring around the screen (for the light meter I think), thus cutting down the real estate on the face even further is completely cheap and lazy. I had a Fossil Sport and I have no idea what they are like now but at the time I thought it was completely stupid considering I also have a 1st Gen Tag Connected still works BTW) that I bought in 2015 that is full screen.

3 Likes

My Fossil Carlyle gen 5 has to be recharged every day when I wear it. If I just let it sit on the desk it will go almost 2 days. I’ve never been overly happy with it. I like my Galaxy Watch 6 Classic much better.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have had the Fossil, I still have Tag Connected Gen 1 and 2, but the one I wear most now is my Samsung GW5 Pro. Samsung has got the nuts on the android/Wear OS market IMO. Honestly, if Apple just has one watch for their OS…maybe it might be better for Wear OS to just have only 1 too? I know it’s probably a controversial take but I am just throwing it out there.

3 Likes

You guys bought a Fossil watch for a reason !
Mine’s an Armani Connected (made by Fossil) - i don’t remember how old it is now, but, it’s old! I’ll wear it until it dies. The battery only lasts a day and a bit but it fits my routine - i get up, put it on charge, eat my breakfast, drink my coffee and it’s ready for the day!
I’m sorry guys but i have to defend the good name of my watch - every man to his own ! :smiley: :upside_down_face: :joy:

2 Likes

I bought my Fossil for the style because it was feminine and not ugly or too tech-looking. I don’t remember a huge black ring. I knew the battery wouldn’t last more than a day, but I liked the way it looked. Charging it every night was not an inconvenience. I was hoping to buy another one. I’m sorry to learn the sad news. :cry:

2 Likes

this,

1 Like

I didn’t buy a fossil when I got my first WearOS smartwatch because Ticwatch had the E3 at a good price, it had the SD4100 cpu and the promise of an upgrade to OS3!

Fast forward 2 years and the upgrade has just arrived and although the fossil watches had already been upgraded to OS3, samsung and pixel have got OS4! A few weeks ago I bought (second Hand) a battered 44mm galaxy watch 4 to use at work. The differences from the ticwatch is amazing.
I could have got a pixel for a similar price but didn’t because I don’t like the smaller form factor (my wife has a pixel watch) but will seriously consider the pixel watch 3 if the rumoured larger version is true.

1 Like