Hello world! (15 characters)

I grew up with SI, it was a shock adjusting when I came to the US… and yet still, some 4 decades later, I still find myself occasionally dumbfounded staring at my trusty 15" Westcott steel ruler, live at a hand-made craft fair, in front of a customer who just bought a custom sized made-to-order necklace, and needing to quickly (yet carefully) cut 2 lengths of 7-13/16" gold chain :rofl:

Funny, just hours ago I was browsing unsplash.com, looking for an image to use as the banner for a collection I’m thinking of using to gather my “Experiments & Tests” faces into. They have an interesting assortment of electronics breadboard images.

2 Likes

OH, now THAT is a golden idea if I’ve ever heard one!!!

3 Likes

Sounds like an Idea for a Facer Community Challenge.

@kourosh Profound Apologies I could not help myself diving in with your Excellent Idea . For those Poor Noobie’s trying to get a handle on the Basics I Apologise as well .
I think Ben’s ( @ben_smurf ) Topic has been Hijacked .

3 Likes

Wow, cool, didn’t know this existed lol. I stored this in my CONCEPTS list a few months ago:

3 Likes

Yep, same principle. I love finding gems like that, even better when I also find videos showing how they function.

1 Like

Very nice concepts @kourosh & @ThaMattie - I like it! I fast forwarded a bit too much and had to do it again to see the transition, but well done! Like @russellcresser’s idea of a community challenge too!

2 Likes

@ben_smurf I just published your requested watch face. The 24-Hour Minuteman Missile Silo watch is now live

3 Likes

You guys got me on a 24hr kick…

An exotic vintage gem, rare and hard to find information on, purported to be from the 1950s. Features deadbeat seconds and lume only on the 7pm through 5am digits. I added darker lume on the remaining digits, for visibility in AOD (that is, if AOD functions :roll_eyes:).

Not sure how many complications are worth having on this busy dial, beside date & battery.

5 Likes

Yeah Date and Battery are good :::)))

That is interesting, I’ve never seen anything quite like that before. But I did notice one thing, the step count is 9,999,999. I’m assuming you just dropped a static number there and it’s not a glitch. I’ve done some quick figuring and that works out to something like 4,500 miles walked. :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t mind at all, this is fascinating to follow! Please do continue :star_struck:

Beautiful! Very elegant placement of the battery indicator, that is clever. As I already mentioned near the top, it is amazing to see how you all have picked up this idea and how you are crafting works of art. I know you normally don’t drop whatever you had in front of you to work on something else, but you did this time. I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Yea, static number for layout/spacing, I forgot to put the tag back… although, it does work for “Forrest Forrest Gu-ump:rofl:

It is definitely an interesting gizmo. The partial digits lume is odd. And I have yet to find out who manufactured it.

2 Likes

This is published now. I decided to put my usual set of 4 complications in each of the dial’s built-in quadrants, but they do fade away completely.

4 Likes

The 24-hour kick @ben_smurf and the rest of you guys got me onto keeps going! Probably already seen it, but here’s another 24-hour face.

6 Likes

1 Like

I just found out 2 interesting things! First, the dial-flipping 24-hour watch I had posted earlier is actually from the 1950’s, not the 1960’s. And second, it turns out they were not the first to create a mechanism to flip the dial’s hours, Longa did it in 1913 complete with a patent.

5 Likes

That is a good find. Seems you have places to learn these curiosities :slight_smile:

1 Like