Help with using images for date

Dear fellow watch designers,
I need help. One of the things I’d love to see in Facer is curved text. Maybe you pro guys have the ability to do that, but even though I’ve made a huge collection of designs (Warren Silberstein - watch faces for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer), many of which are quite lovely, they’re all basic designs, for the most part lacking animation or bells and whistles.
Anyway, back to the issue at hand. The only way I can see to make curved text is to create it as a graphic and put it on the watch face as an image. In order to change it, for example if you’re using it for the date you change the opacity via a conditional for it to change when the date changes.
This worked fine for the weekday using, for example, a graphic for Friday and $#DOW#==5?100:0$ for the opacity, but it did not work for the month. When I tried to use #DM# as a variable for the month, it returned a value of 8 no matter what month I set the date for. So I had to resort to using #DD#, the day in the year, as the variable. Since each month has multiple days, the variable will not be constant for the whole month so I had to set an upper limit and a lower limit. So for November I set the upper limit in the opacity as $#DD#<335?100:0$, but how to set the lower limit. Can you use AND for example $#DD#<335 AND #DD#<305?100:0$. I couldn’t find any documentation of that possibility so I didn’t try it. Instead I used the Y position for the lower limit by using (275+(1000*(#DD#<305))) for the Y position. That worked, but is there a more elegant way?
I’d accept that as a solution, but there’s one problem. During a leap year, the lower limit and upper limit of the day in the year, #DD#, for each month from March through December will be 1 more than in regular years so the last day of each month will display the wrong month in a leap year. Even if I could find a variable that indicates a leap year, I can’t imagine how it would be used in an equation to alter what I have done so far.
Here’s the watch face I’m asking about Warren Silberstein - Blue & Gold Roman II - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer
Any thoughts, solutions, recommendation?
Thanks.
Warren

1 Like

One other possibility, which would actually make a nicer looking watch, would be to use the #DD# variable for opacity with a separate image for each day of the year, but that would be 366 images including February 29. Could that even work? Wouldn’t it take a lot of memory and a long time to load?
Warren

1 Like

Sorry I can not Help that much. But in a formula && is AND || is OR . I am sure others will join in. Lots ask about curved text.

1 Like

That is strange, I’m using #DM# to set on/off month images and it works just fine both in creator and on my watch.

What do you mean that it doesn’t work for you? In creator itself or on your watch?
Could you enable inspection on the watch face you have issues so we can assess where the problem is?

EDIT: Scratch the inspection, it’s on, checking…

1 Like

Well, that’s bizarre. Problem solved. Of course #DM# should work as a variable, so maybe my computer or Facer creator was having a bad day. No matter what I changed the date to on the calendar #DM# returned a value of 8, so of course it didn’t work. But with your encouragement, I tried again, and today it worked just fine. Here’s the end result.

And it works just fine on February 29. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, it sounded more like browser engine issue than a tag-related problem.
Glad it works for you as intended! :slight_smile: