Hi! Hans aka mountain_lion from Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi all

I guess an introduction here is over due… (another “antisocial guy”; not big on social networks either)

So, about me:
At work: Graduated as electrical engineer in 1992, spent 10 years working in the electrical distribution industry (consulting) including a few years in the UK. 3 years after returning to South Africa, I made a career change to IT in the higher education world (still working for Stellenbosch University, almost 2 decades later).
At play: Mountain biker, mountaineer, GPS & map enthusiast & sucker for all gadgets, which recently also include smart watches.

I last wore a wrist watch many years ago, but getting my smart phone out of my pocket just to see what time it was, started to feel like a step back in time to the days of pocket watches & monocles. :face_with_monocle:

I successfully petitioned Santa (aka my lovely wife) and received a Samsung Galaxy Watch (BT, 42mm) for Christmas 2019. :smiley: (my eyes would have appreciated the larger screen of the 46mm version, but I was put off by the bulk).

The available native Samsung watch faces are OK, but not quite what I wanted, so during the Christmas holidays I looked at options for creating my own. I downloaded Galaxy Watch Designer and also found Facer.

With a web interface, the learning curve looked less steep on the Facer side, so I gave that a try first to see how it went, not quite realising the slippery slope I was on…
I built a few very basic faces, then wanted to do more, started reading this forum, published a slightly more complicated face, and before I knew it, I was posting on this forum… :nerd_face:

So here we are. (and I have still not tried to use Galaxy designer…).

With an engineering and IT background, finding my way with the expressions is not too bad (cobwebs starting to clear for the math), but not many engineers are artists and I have lots to learn there. Playing with watch faces also gave me the nudge to start learning how to use GIMP. Steep learning curve there.

My Facer profile and attempts at watch face designs: mountain_lion - watch faces for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

The new academic year is starting for us in the southern hemisphere, which means bulk enrolment of students. This translates to work interfering with my Facer hobby play time at present :frowning:
I do manage to pop onto the forums for a short while here and there, but face design needs more focused and extended attention.

It is an honour to be part of such a welcoming and helpful community. :blush:

3 Likes

Hi and a warm welcome. This community here indeed is something special. Creatives, technicians, physicians, teacher, artists, coder, nerds and so much more all together in peaceful harmony, willing to help each other with knowledge and good advices. And - as you experienced - creating watch faces can be very addictive. Have a nice time. Creating watch faces is pure zen.

A very warm welcome Hans!

Thanks @GAUSS & @mikeoday !

2 Likes

Welcome! We are all here to help and have a creative experience. Good to have you, Enjoy!

Thanks @cdownie1967