Hi! Kevin aka KVS aka B Sharp.. New to Facer

Hi all! Some of you may know me from the Watchmaker Premium community, but I’m new to Facer. I’m a professional jazz guitar player in North Carolina, USA who began the all-consuming hobby of watch face making about two years ago shortly after getting my first smart watch (Samsung Frontier). I now also have a Fossil Gen 5 and a Huawei Watch 1, and in a couple of weeks I’ll have a Summit 2 :slight_smile: I’ve always dabbled with Photoshop and I’ve also always enjoyed having another creative outlet outside of music, so once I had made my first face (a Parmigiani Fleurier replica) I was hooked.

In the last two years I’ve honed my craft and learned about mechanical watches through making nearly 200 replicas. In the beginning I would cut/restore photos of real watches to build the face. But after a short while I began to draw more of the elements in Photoshop. And then finally I got to the point where the real enjoyment and challenge for me was to do everything from scratch in Photoshop and try to make it look photorealistic. So now every last pixel of every face I make is drawn from nothingness in Photoshop.

I took it a step further after a few months and started designing original designs and launched a brand I call B Sharp. The simple philosophy of B Sharp is to bring the aesthetics of high end luxury mechanical watches to the smart watch, and also try to capture the aura of “hand made” by giving meticulous attention to every last detail. (I read once about a particular watch that 40 man hours were spent on just polishing the tourbillon bridge!) Mercifully Photoshop is more forgiving but I have been known to spend 1 or 2 hours and use 8 or 10 Photoshop layers just to draw a tiny screw head :slight_smile:

I kind of stumbled into Facer through the Montblanc contest. I created and submitted 2 designs, and was thrilled to have one among the winners! While I was waiting for the results I decided to try to rebuild a couple of my original B Sharp designs from the Watchmaker platform to Facer. I’ll make those available soon but I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to continue here on Facer, I like the platform but to be honest I do believe the Watchmaker platform is still much more powerful at this stage, and I’m also not sure I get/agree with the pricing scheme here. Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but I don’t quite get why I’d have to pay a subscription to unlock features in the creator app. Seems like having to pay to provide Facer content which they use to sell more premium subscriptions (but still not be able to sell my own work) is not the fairest.

Anyway, I’ve been lurking here for a bit and it does seem like a great community and I see some talented designers so I’ll probably stick around!

If I can figure out how to attach pictures I’ll add a couple to this post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a group shot of the Original designs I published in 2019. And another pic of the most recent face I’ve published. Each of these has 3-5 selectable design themes and a tap action to launch a “Hybrid Mode” which integrates smart watch info into the design. These are features I guess I can’t incorporate into Facer versions without paying to do so :frowning:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community o/ and those are all beautiful, kudos!

Welcome aboard in this nice community, @kvansant aka B Sharp.

I know your amazing watch faces very well from instagram and often placed a heart on them.

They are creative, fantastic designed with an amazing eye for details. And they show impressive how skilled you are in Photoshop.

I don‘t know if watchmaker is that much better now, i only tried an old standalone version years ago which i found way to complicated.

I am very happy with facer and can achieve nearly everything i want to have.

BTW: i often have as well more than 100 layers at photoshop…

Greetings, GAUSS.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome guys! Gauss, much respect to your work and creative designs as well! It’s easy to recognize when a lot of work has gone into something.

Obviously, even if based on your work alone Facer is quite powerful too. I’m sure a lot of it is just familiarity with the platform and the coding language, so maybe I’ll get more comfortable and find more of the potential in Facer too. I’m not sure if I have the time to put into going all in on two platforms though. I did get a taste of the advanced options through the montblanc creator though which I gather would be the same as if I paid for Pro creator?