Hi, newby with (probably) unusual challenges

Hi all,

I am a new smartwatch user. Due to sensory issues, I can’t wear anything on my wrist, so I wear my Watch as a necklace out of my watch, bringing me some challenges.
My watch is hanging upside down around my neck to allow comfortable use of any apps on the watch. I’m using upside down watchfaces, so the watch looks right side up when functioning as jewelry.

My designs are mainly ideas I get, inspired by things I enjoy or functions I find interesting or challenges I meet. Usually a combination of those.

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Watch5, and my current favorite watchface is my Opal watch design.

6 Likes

Interesting! Great work for finding new solutions. Nice design, well done :blush:

3 Likes

Welcome to the best Smartwatch Community on the planet Vera :grinning: That’s a nice Face you created there, nice work :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah Well Done and welcome @Vera . I have seen some Sharing Faces where the bottom half of the Display is upside down . You can even get into Jump hour Faces so . each face only uses half the Display . Just Ideas .
But One step at a time .
If you check the Manual for your watch it is possible . To set the Orientation of the Display . I just downloaded the Manual for mine Yesterday . I will have a look .
I am sorry but I Jan not stop myself thinking of cutting the Lugs of the bottom of your watch to make it like a Nurse’s Fob . Still you are obviously Happy with how your watch is attached to you Necklace .
Can you not wear Stainless steel on your Wrist ?
I am not sure if I am reading your Orientation problem Clearly . You could attach your Watch to your Necklace by the other Lugs or check this.

Changing the orientation of the watch doesn’t help, as I need different orientation for the face (one direction for hanging as jewelry) and the rest of the watch (other orientation for using apps etc.)
Background pictures can be flipped using the creator, so that was the easy part. Difficult part was accepting that I may need to cheat with the hands, as I just coul’d program them to move the way I wanted. I ended up flipping the hands by 180° in microsoft paint before use.

Anyway, here’s the version I actually use, the one in my first post is the right side up version

To attach my watch to the necklace, I made a loop from the wristband, using a piece of wire I’ve formed into a ring. It was an impulsive solution, using whatever I had on hand, so my ADHD brain would let me get back to work.

As for wristbands, I’ve tried several materials. There are differences in how sensible my skin reacts to jewellery, but it also depends on the area. My wrists are the most sensitive part of my skin, sometimes getting irritated if my sweater is too tight. As for necklace, sterling silver works, cheaper materials only work in winter.
To me it feels like that autism they ruled out decades ago, because I don’t have any severe autism symptoms.

1 Like

Bless . OK it always takes a bit of conversation to get a clear picture of the Enquiry . So what you have designed is perfect as a Piece of Jewellery . One thing I was going to add is we can orientate your face with the Motion Detector . It would take a bit of work but a good project for you . I like your Compass and wonder if all those elements could be combined . While the Face is Upside down the some of the elements could be swinging Pendulum style . You could be one of the first People in the World wearing an Animated Necklace . I am actually a Technician not an Artist . I use Metal Bracelets on my watch . Most come with removable Links to adjust the Diameter of the Band . A friendly jeweller could take the Pin out of the first Link on the FishTail and replace it with a couple of the adjustable links . ( If the band is Parallel . ) Then you would easily pass something through the small part of the link Left . A really Friendly Jeweller could make you something easily with Findings .
I wish I could do this for you . I would cut of the Spare lugs as well but that will Invalidate your warranty .
I know you will not understand a lot of what I am rambling on about .
We Have Plenty of time to sort something for you if you want .
Respect for the Work you have done already .

This is the sort of thing I am thinking about but with a Fish Tail and a few less links . I had to make the Knort because my Chain is continuous . Sorry it is on my Active as that is te Spare at the moment .

1 Like

Muito bonito ! ! !

1 Like

It’s like my solution, adjusted for the different material. Using the wristband to form a loop, then adjust it to make it keep it’s form. My band is made from silicone

1 Like

Oh Yeah that is sweet . Handy with the Pliers You are . You could have it shorter and fold the Spare back . Leather hole punches are Cheap enough . If you put the wire join at the back you could also have a Dangily thing hanging fom the loop you make . Which wire did you use . Looks like Alluminum to me . Sorry you might like it exactly as you have it . Bravo to you . I will send you a Decent File so you can lose the Redundant Lugs .

2 Likes

@Vera Do you want to see a motion flipping test ?

1 Like

I can send you these . I got it just for the clasp . I can shorten a bit to one or two links . No Fishtail . You could put a bit on Both sets of Lugs . Finish it off a bit .

1 Like

Thanks, but please don’t. I’m fine with the necklace I’m using

2 Likes

Cool so what are we going to do for you going forward . You would seem to have it Cracked . Please keep showing your work . What do you think about combining your Analogue and Compass Face . You will be surprised how Popular a compass is . Especially if it does not look like a bit of Military Kit .

I think I reached the point where I don’t dare to change much on the opal watch, out of fear that any change will just spoil it. Current version has animated smoke swirling

Making analog watch with compass sounds nice, I’v been thinking about making my watchface more like a video game HUD
The TOTK face is my first attempt at that idea, it has a stepcounter and heartrate monitor.

1 Like

Sorry I thought I saw a Compass in your collection Already . It must have been another similar in style . Well Done with the above and that is the Better link to post . There are Tons of Hands left here on the Community if you want to get away from the Facer Basics . Having said that It is surprising what can be made from them .
This is part two if you follow the additional links at the bottom of the topic you might find others .

I did make a compass, using some compass sigils I found on the eso wiki. The same pictures, I used as hands for the opal watch.

I thought you suggested a combination of an analog clock and a compass. I didn’t make one yet, just a compass with nothing else, but I have a wague idea to combine compass with a clock. With a gemstone battery indicator making it feel like a trinket running on magic.

1 Like

Yes . Beautiful Idea . If you want a hand with anything let us know . You seem to be getting on well . I am a great fan of an abstract Battery Gauge why not . Please Check my work it is all Inspectable .

1 Like

finally finished the compass-watch combo I was thinking of

2 Likes

I can not see any compass indication on the simulators . I often use them to test the magnetometer and Motion detection rather than sending it to the Watch . I will check it tomorrow . On my Laptop . Well done .

1 Like