How can I make time scroll vertically?

I’d like to make a face where the hours, minutes, and seconds scroll vertically as if on vertical dials. I know I need to use the rotation tags (eg. #DWFSS#) in the Y Position field, but I can’t get it to work right. The main issue is that the images I use, being single images, disappear and then reappear when they reset. Obviously you can’t have a single image scroll infinitely, but I don’t see how to do it with multiple images either.

I’m sure there’s a way to do scrolling digits, but I’m stuck. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Mmm, I’m not realy clear on what you are tring to do. You say scroll vertically; does that mean you have vertically oriented rectangular images with the digits stacked one above the other? But you also mention rotation, so that would imply you are using images with digits in a circle ( ? ).

Are you able to post a copy of the images you are using and a little more detail on what you are trying to do?

Like this.

Good problem!

I will have to think about it. Hopefully in the mean time someone else will chime in.

A couple of quick observations…

1. The hours and minutes are not scrollling - there are just multiple time elements offset by a +/- minutes, etc.

2. If the scrolling seconds display has been implemented using a tall image then the scrolling effect would be achieved by changing the y position ( ie. not rotation ). I can’t immediately think how this is done however; the issue as you point out would be the reset … mmm

3. It might be possible to achieve the effect using 4 time elements ( each offset by 1 second ) that work their way up the screen and then start again from the bottom.

Ok, this seems to work. No doubt there is a more elegant solution but this might give you some ideas to consider …

This uses five layers ( one image on top and then four text layers ).

Put image layer right at top ( 640x640px image attached below )

Text layer 3 ( top text layer ):
Text: ((floor((#DsZ#+15)/20)*20+55)%60)
X pos: 175
Y pos: (200-(((#Dsm#*10+150)%200)/200)*100)
Size: 24

Text layer 2:
Text: ((floor((#DsZ#+10)/20)*20+60)%60)
Y pos: (200-(((#Dsm#*10+100)%200)/200)*100)

Text layer 1:
Text: ((floor((#DsZ#+5)/20)*20+65)%60)
Y pos: (200-(((#Dsm#*10+50)%200)/200)*100)

Text layer 0 ( bottom text layer ):
Text: ((floor((#DsZ#+5)/20)*20+70)%60)
Y pos: (200-(((#Dsm#*10)%200)/200)*100)

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s perfect. Thanks, man. I really appreciate the help.

1 Like

You are most welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this thread is 2 years old but are these layers repeated for each of the seconds 0-60? Also would this be the same process for minutes and hour? Thanks

in other words, I would like to create same effect when the minute and hour changes and instead of the seconds scrolling by 5’s I want them to scroll second by second.-Thanks

Trying to remember how this works … :slight_smile:

I just found an error in the text field for Text layer 0, it should be:

Text: ((floor((#DsZ#+0)/20)*20+70)%60)

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Also I would like to know how to make the seconds move by seconds?!!?
Same as creating this example for hours and minutes.
I’ve been playing around with the formulas but it doesn’t work…
I would be grateful for your help…

1 Like

@daredevill . So you made it over here. I see the code you flagged up on FB is remarkably similar to the code that @mikeoday posted here. Some times when you copy and post code it gets corrupted.
See if his Test is inspectable and pinch stuff from that . It certainly seems to work on here.

Not inspectable.

Oh I see what you mean it is slow. Taking 5 seconds to move 1 second.

I think Mike meant that as a generic test and we have to change the speed ourselfs.

There is a commitment in the community to help out but not to do the job for you. Mike is the one most likely to folow the spirit of the conmmunity.

I must say without doing a test myself I do not understand the multiple Layers .

1 Like

First thing is to figure how far (how many facer units) are your marks from each other. Then multiply this number with the time tag.

2 Likes

@daredevill Here i made seconds scrolling vertically by using three layers. First you need to add the formula on Y axis for each image to scroll. Based on the font you can use all 1-60 but small font. Or you can make a gap like 5 seconds as i made. Hope you got a hints to make and clear.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies.
The problem is that I still don’t understand the logic of the formulas.
(I’m relatively new here, about 3-4 weeks)
For example: I can’t find the time factor of the rotation (i.e. how fast the numbers should move).
I feel like I’ve already changed all the numbers, but found no difference…

And another problem is that my English isn’t so good (it’s good enough for everyday use :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Sorry. I was just doing other stuff. Making a Test as we speak. It is great to help someone just starting out reminds us where we came from. I must say this is Advanced stuff. But if learning is not a Challenge what is the Point.