How do I display the Central Time Zone no matter where I am in the world?

Hello all. I’m a frustrated newbie. My business take me all over the world. I want to display 3 different digital times. (1) Local time…no problem…got it.(2) Zulu time…no problem got it.(3) My home time, 24 hour format, central time in Tennessee…big problem. A basic UTC -6 in 24 hour format is all I need. I have searched and searched and come across NUMEROUS formulas. Why is this so convoluted? Formula after formula and I have yet to find one that works. The closest I have come is $(#DUkZ#-5)>24?((#DUkZ#-5)-24):frowning:#DUkZ#-5)$:#DmZ#. It doesn’t display the correct time for all hours of the day. . I have read that Facer doesn’t work well with negative (-) numbers. I have played around with positive numbers to no avail. Could someone PLEASE help with with a formula that will display the central time zone in 24 hour format no matter where I am in the world. I really would appreciate it!!!

1 Like

You don’t realize it yet, but you also have an additional twice a year problem. If you base any calculation on UTC time, even if you get the right expression that shows the correct time through the whole day, you still have Daylight Saving Time to contend with. UTC doesn’t change time in the spring and fall. It is the same year-round, so for part of the year your time will be off one hour.

2 Likes

Thanks. I understand, and am willing to change the code twice a year.

1 Like

Have a look in here. What you are trying to do is not easy.
You may not have a premium account but you can inapect it and lock of the formula with a fixed number. I have anotger somwhere with a Fixed difference.
The Problem as you have found out is crossing Zero.
Show us where you are with an Inspectable Draft and we can try Debug it.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think this is what your talking about.

2 Likes

Hey Russell, nice Face my friend :+1:
Welcome to the Community @ljacobson14 :wave:, there are a few people here really good with math, unfortunately not myself, and @russellcresser is one of them, he’s helped me heaps too :+1:

2 Likes

Hello I think it is not so difficult. We solved here the zero crossing on multiple purposes, being it a day in year or seconds minutes hours before and after current one. The key is modulo and not using negative but positive difference in the shifted period like ((#DUH#+18)%24). Think of it like adding the time it would be there at UTC midnight, then calculating the reminder of division by the day period (24h).

3 Likes

Thank you Peter @petruuccios . It always seems so simple when you convert a question into a Bookmarkable Titorial.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Peter. All I get when I input ((#DUH#+18)%24) is a zero. There in lies my problem. I have found numerous expressions that show what I want to accomplish but none of them have worked for me. Some of them have "%“an"0?00” others have “<” others have single parenthesis “(” some have double parenthesis “((” others have positive numbers…some have negative numbers…some use DUH…some use DUk…and what’s up with the “$” in the expressions. The list goes on and on and on…I have found the table that shows what all the expressions mean. I just can’t find a good tutorial on how to put them together to form a complete expression.

1 Like

Well @ljacobson14 it is not easy Especially as things are changing . Try this it is a bit more robust .
(((#DUH#)+18)%24)
Yes Facer uses $$ as a place holder . It can be Replaced by () . But I like to stick to Formulas that look like the documentation . I like Peters Descriptive Formulas but many use the inverted KISS principle . Keep It Sophisticated Smarty .

BTW I have tested Peters Formula and it works for me . I think #DUk# is 12 hrs. I just wonder how I set the formula to my friends in the us who are UTC-5 at the moment .

Just to make sure, you get 0 on your creator/preview page or on the watch it self?

Ok. The 0 was actually correct. When I went back to work on it, it was then a 4. It took me a little while but I finally realized this was just the hour. No minutes. I then added :#DUmZ# and I now have a digital display with the central time zone (hour and minutes) no matter where I am. The whole expression I am using is ((#DUH#+19)%24):#DUmZ# Being we are on daylight savings time the GMT difference is -5 hours. I realize in November I will have to change the expression to ((#DUH#+18)%24):#DUmZ# to reflect a GMT difference of -6. I have read numerous post about people wanting to compensate for daylight savings to go back and forth automatically but haven’t seen any that have done it successfully. All I am going to do is make 2 different watch faces. 1 for standard time and 1 for daylight savings time. So, in November and March, I’ll just change faces. Easy enough. Thanks for getting me on the right trail!

3 Likes

Thanks for the info russell.

1 Like

sorry for confusion, I focused just on the problem with the zero crossing on hours.

1 Like

Yeah the daylight saving changes different times all over the planet . Usualy a Sunday near the Equinox . If you had Pro you could do it with the Tap on a Tab . As a Free Maker you could sacrifice one of the user settings imperial/metric or the 12/24 hrs setting to change it . Rather than a different watch . I think it is cool to have a Face that is just for you . I have a Face I wear most of the time that has Fixed Equinox markers on the SR SS dial . So it would be no use to anyone else on the Planet who does not live on the + 51.1 Parallel .

1 Like

Good idea. Now all you have to do is in spring and fall when you change your clocks, change your watchface also.

2 Likes

Once again, thanks to all for the info. I’ve decided to upgrade to Pro and mess around with it for awhile. Other than https://help.facercreator.io/hc/en-us/articles/4412565593755-Tags and bugging the community for answers, what are some other good resources to use for designing with Facer?

Thanks again,
LJ

1 Like

Here are the PRO DOCUMENTS LINKS as they Stand . The best thing you can do is inspect the work of others .

Complications

2 Likes

Thanks Russell, I appreciate it!

1 Like

Excuse me showing off.

2 Likes