How do you get the animated preview image to show when creating an animation using the Sequence Feature?

I recently added a few animated watch faces using the Sequence Feature, but I notice that the preview imagess are static and do not show the animations. When you click on the preview image and view the watch face, it does show the animations, just not the preview image.
I am a rookie with creating watch faces and I may be missing something really simple. Also, these animations are my first attempts using the Sequence Feature, so I am a rookie there as well. I also looked around and was not able to see a current solution for this.
On my page… on the top row of faces… the 1st, 3rd, and 4th watch faces are animated.

I see that other watch face preview images show the animations when viewing other profiles.
How do you get the animated preview image to show when creating an animation using the Sequence Feature?
Thanks in advance. -Beth

1 Like

You have to but a still image of the animation in with a tag that makes the still picture go away before the first second of activity. You can see what I have done in this Halloween Watchface MAG 2537. Look for Pumpkin Preview.

2 Likes

Bare with me, I am a little slow at this. Can you give me an idea what the tag looks like and where to place the tag? I see your inspector detail but I am such a rookie, I don’t know what I am looking for.
I really appreciate your help. -Beth

2 Likes

Like I said find Pumpkin Preview open that element up and click the rocket ship on the right side to see all the coding. Find Opacity and that is the code to make it show then disappear after the first second.

Here is what you are looking for. Also make sure your Sequence element Trigger is set to “On Wake” not “On Sync”.

3 Likes

I was just going to ask you why you set the trigger on wake. I just found this.
Thank you so much for your explanation.

3 Likes

You set it to wake so that the animation starts as soon as the watch wakes up. If you set the trigger to on sync, there is a delay before the animation shows up.

2 Likes

Thanks for that explanation.

Questions:
Regarding the still image with the opacity code. Did you use a copy of the 1st image in the sequence?

(I don’t know enough about the coding to know what it all means.)
So…
Is the opacity code specific to the image you use or is the same for any image?
Thanks.

2 Likes

@photobeth . This could turn out to be a Bookmarked Tutorial . Chose the best frame of the animation for your Preview Image . Remember that sadly we can not Manuplate Opacity for a Sequence .
Forget Wake on Sync it Syncs to nothing . It could actualy be used to make something a little random .
Keep comming back with Animation / Sequence questions they are a Favourite .

2 Likes

It’s all pretty simple once you know how to do it.
Pick any image you want from your Sequence/Gif: save it.
Add it as your Top Layer and in the Opacity Box put this - $#DWE#>0?0:100$
Which you can see working here, (I aptly named it “Bogus Pic”) -

2 Likes

Ha Ha . I never Know what to call that Pic . Some guys call it a SHILL ( I think they are German ). I Like " Bogus Pic " . Consider it a Community Standard.

2 Likes

@russellcresser @icrltd4

I’ve started calling it a Promo Pic since that is it’s only purpose to show up in the published watchface to show there is an animation there.

2 Likes

Now I am confused . :thinking::joy:

3 Likes

Welcome to the club! :laughing::joy::rofl:

3 Likes

You are all so very helpful.
I haven’t worked on it yet this morning, but last night I tried for a long time, still couldn’t get it to work.
I will keep at it today.
The one thing about stumbling around trying to accomplish things is that I may start to learn something.
Problem I have is I don’t even know how to word the question. Ha.
Just wait until I start trying to figure out animations using the math syntax.
Too bad Facer doesn’t support gif files. I am sure there is a good reason.

Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

I got it to work … 1st try. I put the duplicate image up top or out front and poof it worked. Last night I tried moving all the files around with no success. I kept thinking the file needed to be at the bottom.
Anyway… Thanks again everyone for all of your time and help.

3 Likes

Now as you learn new things make notes that you can refer back to so you can refresh your memory. I’ve been saving everything for years now and my problem is finding where I made the note. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yep… I am doing that as I go. But you are right… trying to find things later can be a challenge.
I also save everything to a back up drive and in the cloud, just in case. Ha Ha.

3 Likes

I uploaded a couple more watch faces yesterday with animations using the Sequence Feature, but they did not seem to work. The preview images were static.
I tried many things, and nothing seemed to work.
I tried saving the Promo Image as different file names and placed it at the top level as well as moving it around to see what might work. I used this Tag: $#DWE#<0?100:0$ in the Opacity Field.
But after 24 hours I just re-uploaded them again with no real changes and the animations are now working on the previews.
So maybe there is a delay before the animated preview works? Has anyone experienced this?

1 Like

I noticed that your tag is a little different than the one I was recommended to use. It was suggested to use this tag: $#DWE#<0?100:0$
I also went to your watch face page and the preview image is static and not showing the rain animation. Just wanted you to know.
Your suggestion of putting the Promo Image at the top worked for some of my watch face images. So Thank you.

1 Like

A lot of my Faces Previews were showing as blank, that was why I used the single frame image taken of the whole Face nowadays.

1 Like