Latest Classic Guilloche/Tourbillon Project

Hey all, first of all I cant say enough about how much better the Facer workflow is for me! Here I am able to design faces and very quickly make minor tweaks and export them seamlessly into my Facer projects. Now I can also design my projects to have endless color possibilities with overall palette and even with shading and highlights. All are super easy and quick to do within PS and export into Facer. So much better with a web based GUI. I am having trouble trying to adjust to the much smaller resolution that I’m used to and I lose a lot of detail in the process. I do see a lot of really good watch makers here who have figured out how to get a lot of detail into their work. It’s a quick learning curve and I am getting it.

I really like making mechanical watches and I try to make them as realistic as possible. I know it’s not popular here as most people want every stat they could possibly want crammed onto a watch face. Maybe that’s why I have no followers? lol…or I suck at social media…anyway who cares onto the watch face.

I like the way the tourbillon animation turned out and it works well on my watch. I am worried that it may be chunky on other watches though. Is this a thing? should I be concerned about how they might run on other watches?

I also used the ((accelerometerRawX())*20) snippet in +/- to have gradients subtly rotate clockwise and counterclockwise to each other (one gradient on the guilloche, and tow on the bevelled ring for the tourbillon housing.) I guess I wanna know from the gallery if the effect looks natural of not? I also did dynamic hands too.

I did one with gold and one with silver accents and the guilloche can be any color anyone can think of. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks.

3 Likes

I do not have many followers either, it might pick up at some point. But as you say, I do not really care.
But it really only takes a single face that sticks out as with @mikewickens. One of his first faces looked good and lot liked it and it made it into the top 100.

To your toubillon: looks great, seems to run nicely. I would test for you on my ticwatch once you publish it.

2 Likes

Ahhh so you have to publish first before peeps can run your watch faces? I thought you could get feedback here before you published a face and that people could DL faces in this forum? See…I’m still learning.

I’ll publish it soon, I’ll dump a bunch of color combinations. I actually wanna do a premium version to Toggle the ((accelerometerRawX())*20) on/off and also a feature to “blow up” the tourbillon for a better view. I’m fascinated by the mechanical movements of watches and I could look at that stuff all day. Maybe others like that too?

2 Likes

Looks ok to me here, but you don’t have Inspection enabled for us to have a look (your choice entirely obviously), and yes, we can’t sync it. Have you Saved it? My friends can usually sync Faces I haven’t Published if I simply save them and send them the link…I think :thinking:

1 Like

I loaded your watch face. On my ticwatch, which has an older CPU, only the fastest turning element does not look smooth, it looks like it is rotating and not oscillating. But I noticed this with my ticwatch in general with animations.

1 Like

Yeah we have to cheat the speed of the Balance wheel or it has problems on slower watches . It is probably a frame rate thing rather than the processor . Make it a bit slower then we can see the balance adjusters .

1 Like

Thanks, I guess it is what it is. Mine seems to run just fine off my second generation Tag Heuer Connected from like 2017.

2 Likes

Thanks, The balance wheels on a real tourbillon really rips, but ill tweak it.

2 Likes

On a separate thing: Happy with the Tag Heuer? One of my favorites, but hesitant to buy because of the price…

1 Like

Just nice to see the detail you put in the Wheel. I used to make models for Chocloate Bars for TV Advertising we used pigmented Sugar Beet Syrup for the Pouring Choclolate. It is all Casting Resin an Climpex. Completely Fake but looked Tasty just after the News.

2 Likes

I love the Tag Connected E2 45 modular system which was unfortunately never repeated in their following E3 and E4 Connected’s. I will say that i never bought a smartwatch for the functions of a smartwatch. I could care less about that as so long as I have to bring a phone with me still, a smartwatch is redundant. Having said that, because I like to make faces, the Tag is a good as it gets for me because I have already made every conceivable Tag face so I never have the same watch. Add to that the fact that I can swap out straps (I bought a bunch of colors, titanium and leather too), it never gets old. One more bonus is that with the E2 series, they produced a mechanical Cal 5 and Cal 16 head. So i have those too for when my smartwatch head eventually craps out. However, since they are “old”, I have purchased a few more smart watch heads online recently too. I am good to go for the foreseeable future. :smiley:

To me though, for the newer generation all made in China E3 and E4 just don’t do it for me because they are not modular and there is no option for the day when the smartwatch will ultimately die aside from just buying a new one.

2 Likes

thanks for that! same here, just got the ticwatch second hand, to creat faces I like and to wear them - don’t need steps and heart rate, but its scruffy and slow. Now I’m hooked creating faces, and so time to buy a new watch. :sunglasses:

1 Like

For me, with any smart watch, the deal breaker is if it doesnt use the entire face. I have a Fossil Sport which I hate because it has the light meter on the outside of the dial so you lose like 30% of the screen’s real estate with that black ring. That is…unacceptable.:smiley:

2 Likes

I just knocked down the balance wheel Oscillation speed by half, so hopefully it wont be choppy.

2 Likes

I think that is so much better .