Morse (not the detective)

Here is my latest fun watchface for radio hams and Arduino fans. It’s a WIP because my intention is to have the morse code to traverse the top half circle anti clockwise as if it was being sent. I haven’t yet figured this out as each sequence of morse would have to be delayed slightly
I’m looking at on wake, DNOW & DWE but I don’t know which is best - but I’ll figure it out!

8 Likes

Cool!
My father in law was in communications in the army, and I inherited his device. I think it is pretty neat:

morsecode

4 Likes

Very clever indeed, well done :clap:

1 Like

That is a great start, 73 de MAG

1 Like

Beautiful story and equipment. Till when did he used it professionally, private?

1 Like

Very nice, had the same thought about morse. You beat me.

1 Like

You still have a chance - mines not finished yet!

1 Like

@BIELITZ . I would just use ((#DWFSS#)*4) which should give you a 15 second chance to read the Message . Subtracting the offset to spread them out looks like 45 degrees to me . Be Aware that your Factor has to divide nicely into 360 or you will get jump on the minute. I guess you are using animations for the Morse segments . So you will have to ORBIT them with one of the standard formulas . Dropping your time base in for the variable . Do your tests with some seconds hands to get your time base right . I think you want as big an arc for the message for guys like me that will take a week to read it .

1 Like

I know what you mean - hence the Arduino kit :smiley:

1 Like

Ha Ha . I want that Arduino Kit . Check what I typed . Use #DWFSS# it is a bit smother . What you have there is fine you never want to see more than one instance of the message . Your it should only be missing for a few seconds . if your arc is 135 degrees or something .
If you get stuck with the orbits let us know.

He was from 1926, so must have been in the army in the 50s I guess. He had the device on his book shelf ever since I got to know him in 86. He was an electrical engineer and had loads of cool gadgets: short wave military radio communication unit, a Sunbeam light bulb from 1895, and a current balance (I have not understood how that works!):

3 Likes

I see on Wikipedia that a kind of Current / Amper Balance is now used to Calibrate the Kilo . Leading edge of Science sitting there in its Brass and Mahonany Glory .

2 Likes

Gosh! Morse takes me back, I joined the RAF when I was 17 and learned morse code. I was stationed at Brize Norton for 5 years too, incidentally when the Morse TV programs were being filmed

3 Likes

There is a Nice bit of Synchronicity.

Here is the latest version of my Morse watch - I followed @russellcresser suggestion and used #DWFSS# which gives in my opinion a quite nice effect, however, it is not the effect i was looking for (although I may publish it as it is now). What I want to achieve is that the morse code starts to appear/rotate travelling from 3 when the watch is woken and then stops at 9 until the dim face activates.

Morse code was used in maritime communications until 1999. At the stroke of midnight on January 31, 1999 , Morse code was retired from international maritime regulations. The 3D printed morse code key in the watchface is in fact an improved key made by Vail. Vail helped Morse develop a practical system for sending and receiving coded electrical signals over a wire, which was successfully demonstrated in 1844.

#Bielitz - Morse - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

3 Likes

The formula you are looking for is:

(clamp((90-#DWE#*50),-90,90))

The *50 is the speed, and the 90 values are from where to where.

3 Likes

Mate we can do that easy . I will do a test with Hands . For You . It is best to flag something up to see where people are with their project . If you had said on Wake I would have said #DWE#*6 . It needs clamping and that is Voodoo to me but I am sure we can work it out or wait for the Cavalry to turn up .
Oh there you are the Cavalry turned up while I was talking . Nice one Tom . Topic Bookmarked . I think you are part of the team that often turns a Topic into a Tutorial .

2 Likes

Thanks thanks and thanks again.

1 Like

Everybody on here is Cavalry! Me, I only just got my foot in the enrolment office!

2 Likes

You must include yourself . You have a nice collection of interesting work . You are not making Zero Effort Stuff. This has turned into a vey interesting Topic . No Tumble weed Here .

2 Likes