Moving sun dial

Here’s my latest watch face

and I’m fairly pleased with it.
The sun moves across the sky in the moon window as the day progresses. 30 minutes before sunset the image changes to a pretty sunset. From sunset to sunrise the moon window becomes a standard moon window with the image of the moon in it’s right position.
I tried to get the movement of the sun in the moon window during the day to correspond to the hours between sunrise and sunset. The sun image is in the center of the top of the disk, so at sunrise it would have to be rotated to -30 degrees and at sunset it would have to be rotated to + 30 degrees (or perhaps it would be better with a larger arc from -40 to +40). Try as I might to accomplish that, there were just too many variables for me to come up with a working equation, so I settled for creating a rotation that had the sun image at the left end of the moon window at 4:30 AM and at the right end of the window at 9:30 PM. The sun image is only visible during the daytime hours since it changes to the standard moon disk at night, so the sun image won’t be visible at the extreme ends of it’s arc.
Any thoughts? Ideas?
Thanks,
Warren

6 Likes

Love the little movement at the bottom and it looks a nice Face overall to me. My only thought would be that the Battery Gauge doesn’t look right to me in Black, and its’ Font looks out of place too…just my thoughts… :thinking:

1 Like

I have to admit I wasn’t happy with black, but neither was I happy with blue which wasn’t too visible or white which doesn’t fit any better than black, although it is more visible. How about light blue like this.

I separated the gauge from the face to make it easier to play with the colors. I originally made it part of the face to deal with the fact that part of the dial was covered by another watch part.
The light blue doesn’t look bad, but I can’t say I like it on the silver ring.
I don’t know what you mean by the font looks out of place. Do you mean a different font would be better? Do you have a specific recommendation?
As always, thanks for your input.
-Warren

2 Likes

Or how about this

with a dark blue duplication of the light blue elements rotated or skewed to make the light blue elements stand out

2 Likes

That looks much better my friend, in my opinion anyway, don’t forget it’s your design, so it’s all about whatever looks good to you :wink:

1 Like

I am a bit of a Symmetry Freak . For your Powers Sub I would use the same colour as the Day Night Indicator for the Background and the Pointers and Text the same colour as your Steps Text . You got a nice Tourbi Going there. Get Your Cage with the screws Rotating .

I thought the cage was stationary, holding things in place

1 Like

Is this what you suggest?

OK, lets have some votes for the final version :grin:

1 Like

I think Your Powers Sub dial is Brilliant .
Here is a face that I collaborated on with Albert Lorenzi @alsx65 . I am pleased with the results of the Tourbi . The cage rotates on a Flying Tourbillon which is basically what you are showing . You are welcome to Borrow Anything you see there . Everything I publish is Open Source .

1 Like

Thanks. Your coding is beyond my current skill level, but, I’m learning.
Plus, I don’t have a library of individual tourbillon parts. Mine are cut from images and not quite as crisp as yours.
-Warren

1 Like

I have a second version of the watch face that includes the weather. With a bit of work I was able to implement your suggestions.

Thanks.
-Warren

1 Like

Yeah. Good job just abit more Action in there. We’ll Done I say. As for the Formulas. I would have nothing but for the Help I have had Here.

Thanks.
I guess the sun movement is good enough as it is.
Just thought I’d ask if anyone knew a more accurate formula.
-Warren

1 Like

That crescent Mask you have stuff coming up behind is realy for the Classic Moon phase movement. So you have a nice Day Night thing Going on there. It is seriously very difficult to get the sun to move through a fixed Mask with the correct Sun Rise And Sunset Time. A few have done it. Then you have to ask yourself when does the Moon Rise. I have not checked to see but I suspect your Sunrise And Sunset Images are stretching the truth a bit. I will look at it on my laptop Later if it is Inspectable. I love the Sun with glasses let him have the whole day.

Sorry to Blow my own Trumpet but this includes the sun with the Sun Rise and Sunset markers. The moon runs arround in the correct Opposition to the Sun but the Rise and Set are not accurate as the moon is on a different Ecliptic. Or whatever it is called. The point is it is a very different Layout so show all that reasonably accuratly. Your face is mostly for Fun. Fun is good.