My first fully "digital" project

Trying to solve the mystery of how to get any traction here. I feel like people are into the full on “digital” or hybrid watches and not so much into attempts at classic mechanical watches. Am I wrong?

Anyway, i though I’d share my first fully “digital” watch here and comments/suggestions are appreciated of course.

It’s also my first attempt at my own custom icons for weather. It’s pretty basic as i could only find a tutorial with 9 weather conditions. I am confused about what database Facer uses and the correct ID numbers for the different weather conditions and day/night conditions. In the future I want to make a more robust version of weather icons in my watch faces so any help, a tutorial would be a big help.

Thanks!

10 Likes

Looks nice! nice layout.
On a personal note: you could create an AOD/dim mode.

2 Likes

Yes, as @tom.vannes said above, it does look nice, but you should sort out the Dim display, mainly because the flashing and progress ring don’t work on the Dim display sorry.

2 Likes

I started something on a Triangular grid but it is on . That is Brilliant. I presume you drew the Numerals.

I think all up Digital wins with a nice picture of Flowers Behind. Someone did a Poll on Facer FB I think but how you find that I dont know.

1 Like

Right! AOD! hmmm…gotta figure something out.

Yes, I drew the numerals and background triangulaire Guilloche. I am really into Guilloche patterns so i have drawn up a variety in illustrator. SO now the trick is to try to incorporate traditional Guilloche patterns into digital watches. Now that i have figured out how to load separate “numeric” .png files, sky’s the limit. I hope I can create some more cool incorporations with other Guilloche patterns too.

By the way, I should ask if using this way to display numerals creates huge cumbersome watch files? That’s another thing I need to understand. When using the “other” platform, you could see how big your files were getting, but here, i really have no idea although I do what I can to optimize and keep file sizes low.

2 Likes

You can afford to export your Font Images at quite low res. I have a Face or two with High res images for the font. I will go back and have a look. If your Composition starts to take a while to Save in Creator and takes more than a few seconds to load to your watch afrer it has started you are making a Big Watch. If you would like to DM me I can show you something.

Don’t mention the Other Platform here you might get the Sack.

So I lied to you but this is reasonably heavy duty . The Numeral Images are 640x640 about 90KB each and there are 30 of those I think . The Pendulums are HD at 2400x2400 at 160kb and there are 12 of them . I consider there is a lot of maths going on but it runs well as far as I know, I have not had any negative feedback from Facers.

2 Likes

That is a very nice looking watchface! I love how the digital time numbers blend into the background.
My opinion on your digital vs analog question is yes you are correct, but there is a small but very vocal group of analog purists here. I have one analog in my top ten synced watch faces but it is very basic with black background and date. All I can say is, do whatever style of watchfaces you want to do. Enjoy doing them and it will show through into the final product and there will be people who will love it.

2 Likes

Yes Yes Yes . While my watch is round I will be into Analogue . I love a Hybrid . I always tell the time by the relationship between the two hands . I actually like the Slow Faces . ( 24 HRS )

1 Like

Very nice integration of digits into the background, it’s kind of like camouflage but no at all. Love it! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

very nice looking watch face!

2 Likes

Well I have tried a couple of things as far as AOD mode like changing to a DIM color scheme (green), but it doesn’t really work and I also have this watch face available in many colors so changing the DIM color would kind of negate why a person would choose an orange, blue, yellow, etc. version of this watch. I also dont want to get into separate DIM modes for all the different colors either. I think I’m just going to turn off the “data” in AOD and when the watch wakes up it all appears.

Thanks for the comments!

5 Likes

That sounds like a plan to me!

1 Like

I still prefer analog, and most of my designs are analog.
BTW, nice looking watch face.
-Warren

1 Like

Thanks! I am partial to analog faces too. Looks like if you wanna get anywhere here, you gotta make the be-bop digital faces though. I am gonna do both cause nothing is working for me anyway, lol! Working on another tourbillon/chronograph as I speak.

1 Like

I’m curious, about AOD, I don’t use it myself to save battery, but is that something you use, only when you’re charging your watch? I personally feel it’s fairly pointless otherwise, as you raise your wrist to see the time, you’ll only see the AOD momentarily.

1 Like

Yes, I use it. I prefer to see the time without having to wake up the watch. And I’d like to see which watch face is currently loaded. I once liked the AOD mode of a watch face so much, I created a new watch face out of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

how do you prevent the watch from waking up, when you look at your watch though?

1 Like

I have removed the automatic “wake on move”. I have to tap the the watch to wake it up.

1 Like

ah ok…

1 Like

I agree that standard (plain) looking analog watches are way too few. That’s all I use.

1 Like